Wednesday, 2 December 2015

Living Room Makeover - Retro Style

I'm totally crazy about the TV show Madmen. I'd even go as far as admitting that I'm slightly obsessed with the shows retro style and I have been really keen to bring some of that 1960's vibe into my own home, starting with my living room.

I decided to give my living room a makeover in time for Christmas to add some color and coziness ready for entertaining family and guests over the festive period. The room before was predominantly black and mocha and as someone who loves bright colors I was desperate to add some 'wow' to the decor. 

I made a start by picking a wallpaper that is an exact replica of one featured in Madmen, a groovy orange and brown patterned paper. It is extremely vibrant so I was careful to only paper one wall, so as not to overpower the room.

For winter warmth I purchased lots of cushions and throws. I added lamps, candles, twinkly fairy lights and down lighters to give a chilled out, cosy atmosphere. Chunky solid wood furniture gives the room a rustic feel and retro accessories give an authentic 1960's look. We are lucky enough to have an open fire and when it's lit it is fantastically toasty. My favorite addition to the room is a large framed 1960's print that I picked up second hand, I love it. I love the stag trend at the moment so I have a few on my mantle, including a glittery one, perfectly festive.

The room before the makeover was cold and unloved, the decor boring. Now, my room is warm and inviting. The bright orange instantly made us feel cosy. 


What Do You Think? Do You Think It Looks Cosy?


















14 comments:

  1. Absolutely loving the vibe you have in this room now! The wallpaper is fab- really sets the tone! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great, really stylish and cosy at the same time :) I can imagine relaxing on the sofa - love the mismash of cushions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant makeover!! I absolutely love it - that wallpaper is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look amazing. You've gone to so much effort - hands off to you. That's a great look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That wall paper is brilliant , I very much like your style

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a difference! It really does work well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the look and those deer ornaments are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your retro style and the orange is such a warm colour

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE it!! AM a huge retro fan, tho tending towards 50s stuff personally - I have a kitsch bathroom with leopard print and flamingos and Elvis currently! Your lounge is so full of personality yet also still cosy and welcoming - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love it - the colours are gorgeous! So warm and inviting. Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh lovely Emma, it looks super cosy! I absolutely LOVE the orange and brown combo, well done you. That sofa looks amazingly comfy too, far better than the one I'm currently lolling on :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whaaaaaat, this is so funky! It looks like something you'd seen in a fancy themed hotel, so so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Im sitting in your living room now and I see the difference xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...