Wednesday, 26 August 2015

5 Things To Do In London


We do love a trip into London town at least once a year and I'm lucky enough to live in Essex so not too far on the train. We usually go to Westfield Stratford for our Christmas shopping every year but we also like a day trip into London too for a show or to visit an attraction. If you are planning a trip into the city here are five ideas for things to do.

1. The ENO - The English National Opera is in Charing Cross and over the next few months they are offering some lovely Opera shows in London. I quite fancy going to see Gilbert and Sullivan’s The Mikado, running from 21st Nov - 6th Feb, tickets available from £12. There are now at least 500 tickets at every performance at £20 or under. 'Set in an ever-so English 1930s seaside hotel, Miller’s Marx Brothers-inspired song-and-dance Mikado is a popular hit with audiences of all ages. The combination of Gilbert’s virtuosic wit, Sullivan’s memorable melodies and Miller’s hilarious antics is irresistible.'

Other opera's this year are Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk, The Barber of seville, La Boheme plus more.


2. The Tower of London - This is such a good day out for adults and the kids. It feels like you have literally stepped back into time as you enter the gates You can easily waste a whole day here. Ticket prices are Adult £24.50, Kids £11.00 or a family ticket (2 adults & 3 kids) £60.70. From here you can also visit Tower bridge and have a walk across the bridge over to the other side of the River Thames and Potters Field Park. Here you will find City Hall where you can visit The Mayor of London's Chambers.


3. The Royal Parks - London has some gorgeous parks and they are huge. Kensington Gardens is fantastic for the kids because here you will find the Diana Memorial Playground which is totally amazing (and free). Other parks include St James Park, Hyde Park, Richmond Park and many more. They are lovely for walking, picnics and sometimes even have entertainment provided.


4. The London Bridge Experience & Tombs - Fancy something a little more thrilling? Something to really creep you out? Well, The London Bridge Experience is the attraction for you. The London Bridge Experience is not only really creepy (great for the teenagers, probably too scary for little ones) but interesting too, as you learn all about the history of London Bridge and what life was like in London during the history of the bridge. Tickets priced at Adults £22.00 and Kids £18.00.



5. River Thames Cruise - Cruises along the River Thames depart every 30 minutes, every day of the week, all year round and they give you the freedom to explore the many sights of the River Thames from four piers close to popular attractions: Westminster, London Eye, Tower of London and Greenwich. Ticket prices for adults are £16.20 Under 16s travel half price and under 5s go free. Combination tickets are also available for cruises and nearby attractions.





Where is your favorite place to visit in London?

26 comments:

  1. London is my hometown, and my favourite city in the world - I'm always amazed at how much there is to see and do there. We did a river cruise last year, with a trip to the Tower of London, for our wedding anniversary - had such a great time! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my hometown too and totally agree about it being the best city. I love it too x

      Delete
  2. We love London too and our 'must do' is always to walk to Buckingham Palace through Green Park! It's become a tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will have to do that walk next time we are there x

      Delete
  3. My favourite place would have to be visiting family. I miss London so much, it really is the best city on the planet! Nowhere else is that full of culture and diversity! I have too many other favourite places to choose from! Love your tips! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Love London too, and when I lived in North Devon I found it really frustrating that I couldn't just nip into the city. Its a great city x

      Delete
  4. I really want to go on the River Thames cruise, will have to be next summer now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Thames cruises are really lovely, very relaxing x

      Delete
  5. Do you know I don't think I have ever been to The Tower of London, something I should really do. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should, it is a great day out x

      Delete
  6. I love how London keeps on giving. We have been there so many times in the last few years and it surprises me how much there still is to discover. My son keeps asking about the bridge so shall def look into those. Is it scarier than the London Dungeons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, much scarier. It takes quite a lot to frighten me but at one point I actually felt terrified. I personally wouldn't take a child under 11yrs, and that's if they are quite tough. If you like scary stuff then the London Bridge experience is great fun x

      Delete
  7. We loved the Tower Of London and also The Eye. The kids loved watching the changing of guards at Buckingham Palace

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am back in London soon and planning on looking around the beautiful churches, St Barts and Temple church to see the effigies of the knights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep saying I'd like to take my family on the Eye - will have to do it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love visiting London. So much to do and see. I wish we lived closer

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love London. I feel as if i am always there but never get to appreciate the sites and parks.
    Great list x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh lovely post Emma. We lived in London for 20 years before moving to surrey so I'll always have a soft spot for it. Especially love walking along the Southbank and looking up at the London Eye particularly when it's early and quiet :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never done any of those things! I need to rectify it soon for sure x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never been to the opera but would love to go. I just love wandering the streets and seeing the sights

    ReplyDelete
  15. The opera tickets are good value at £12 - a good way to introduce a child to that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post about this great city!
    I've lived here all my life and love it -
    so it's good to hear that you make time to visit and enjoy annually!
    I think I just love walking around, looking and soaking it all up best...
    and the markets... and the parks... and the shops... architecture... restaurants & cafes...
    gosh, where to stop?!!
    Emma :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love London! We had a great day out in Greenwich recently and travelled to and from via clipper - great way to get about while also seeing the sights!

    ReplyDelete
  18. my dad worked in the theatre in london but its something ive not done and would love to visit

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never done the River Thames cruise, will have to give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love London, it is so vibrant with so much to see. I've not been to an opera before, so I could fancy that. Mich x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...