Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Thrifty Fashion - My 40+ Style

As a woman in my mid forties my fashion sense has changed a little over the years. What I actually mean is, I've toned it down a bit. I know that surprises some of you as you see me blowing you cheeky kisses, covered in tattoos with bright coloured hair, but honestly my fashion sense is tame compared to what it used to be. I'm still an avid follower of fashion, I just tend to like fashion that is a little more 'out there' than most women my age. I love a good old fashioned retro look and my favourite style is definitely is rock chic with studs and biker jackets. I guess with all my ink I have to dress to compliment them. To afford fashion on a tight budget my favourite shops tend to be the charity shop for my vintage items, New Look (especially their sales), Simply Be, Yours Clothing for everyday essentials, Joules for a lovely treat and pay monthly catalogues that help spread the cost of things like winter coats or holiday gear. 


I rarely hold back and see fashion as a way to express myself. Bright colours and bold prints really float my boat, anything even mildly wacky always catches my eye. Fashion has always been a passion of mine, from a child I'd watch my Nan Grace sitting at her sewing machine and I would dream of one day becoming a fashion designer and make my own clothes. I would spend hours on my fashion plates in the 1970's (Do you remember those?). They taught me how to put together different outfits and I would get such a thrill from putting something new together. As I got older and my drawing improved I started keeping a fashion design journal, where I would practise my art. And that is exactly how I looked at fashion, as art. I still do. 


I appreciate the design and work that goes into lots of items of clothing. Unfortunately I never did fulfil my dream of becoming a designer as my Mum refused to allow me to take art as an option at school, mainly because she had the very old fashioned attitude that art would get me nowhere in life (back in the 80's mums were a bit like that). I don't blame her for it, she only had my best interests at heart, besides I've had opportunities since and not acted upon them so it's my own fault. These days I indulge my fashion passion by being a little creative. I up-cycle lots of items by maybe adding a few studs or putting in a stitch here & there and I even make a few items too to keep things fresh. There is always something in the wardrobe that can be transformed.






What do you do to style your fashion? 
Do you like to up-cycle old clothes, like I do?





*Collaborative Post

18 comments:

  1. Oooh I used to want to be a fashion designer and loved playing with my fashion wheel.

    I'd love you to come and link up with Wednesday's Wardrobe if you get chance x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bright clothes too. I'm rather fond of skater dresses as they seem to balance me out as I'm a bit top heavy. I love fun t-shirts with jeans and ankle boots. I had those Fashion Plates, bless the 80's!
    I've never upcycled clothes, lack of patience but what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have so much fun with your style - it's all very creative. I'm lazy and live in the same few things all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. arghh i want the fashion plate or the wheel as we had when we were kids

    ReplyDelete
  5. i always wanted a fashion wheel and never got one. I was so upset at not getting one. I give less care about following fashion as I get older!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love those fashion wheels too :) I find as I get older I'm having to make an effort to buy more colourful clothes, I still think I'm my rather goth-ish 18 year old self ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! I've never seen a fashion wheel before. I feel deprived now. I like upcycling, but I love making my own instead. I fall in love with a fabric and then decide what to make. Definitely lead by colour and print.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love "creating" my own clothes when I was little, I would spend hours drawing dresses etc and usually they were very colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to up-cycle clothes or shop in charity shops but I just don't have the creative eye unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to try and make my own clothes when I was younger and add all sorts to them I haven't done it for ages though! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your style, so funky. I think nowadays people of any age can get away with wearing pretty much what they want, what they feel comfortable and happy in.
    I wish I could make my own clothes, I see so many amazing fabrics in the shops but I wouldn't have the first idea where to start, I'm sadly not talented in that area!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had fashion plates as a child. I wonder if you can still get them? You look amazing. My personal style (if you could call it that) has evolved very little from when I was a teen. I'm still a jeans and tshirt girl at heart but have recently started wearing dresses and am really enjoying it. I'm always upcycling and adapting the kids clothes, maybe it's time to do it for myself?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You rock everything you wear you are such a fun person

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have become a bit of a charity shop rummager - got some real bargains! Love your outfit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love those fashion plates - such fun!! I could spend hours having fun with that! Love that top photo of you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to admit I've never remade any clothing... lack of imagination I guess... I just go and buy a new ones

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely photo of you - I can't sew for toffee, so have never upcycled anything! Kaz x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...