Wednesday, 15 April 2015

Walking For Weightloss



Since losing my Mum in 2006 I almost doubled my weight. I had never been much of a comfort eater before and I always managed to keep my weight below nine stone (I'm 5ft 2"). Then when Mum was diagnosed with cancer I suddenly wanted to eat everything I laid my eyes on. It was a different stress reaction for me, as usually I would lose my appetite when faced with a stressful situation and lose weight instead of gain. I also decided to pack in the fags around the same time which I guess contributed to my weight gain. A lot of stressful scenarios later and I found myself uncomfortably big. 

Last year the doctor told me that stress and grief were likely to be at the root of my weight problem. I was surprised that he mentioned grief because my Mum had been gone for eight years, and as much as I miss her like crazy, surely I must be out of the 'grief zone' by now? The doctor told me that everyone is different so grief affects people in very different ways and for varying lengths of time. It just so happened that I had turned to food as a crutch. He asked if I felt depressed and I told him that I do, but only when I think about my Mum. The yearning to speak to her sends my anxiety into over-drive and then I will cry, finding it impossible to stop the tears, which frustrates me. He suggested walking for therapy and even though I know walking is marvelous for lifting my spirits I sort of felt he was fobbing me off.


Anyway I decided to really try and make the effort to walk every single day, without fail and I did. I made sure I wore my Fitbug pedometer and aimed for 10,000 steps everyday. At first I struggled even to make 5,000 especially as it was the middle of winter and freezing cold winds lashed at my face, but I was determined to make that 10,000. Every walk got easier and easier until I was walking 15,000 steps most days with no trouble at all. That is over seven miles a day and sometimes I would walk that in one go across miles of farm fields. 

I feel really proud of myself for sticking it out because three months in I have lost two stone and feel amazing. In fact it has spurned me on to get fitter and stronger with weight lifting. I still have four stone to lose and my goal is to have that all gone by Christmas. I initially dropped a dress size with walking and then a couple of weeks after lifting weights I dropped another dress size, so I'm thrilled and it has given me the motivation to finish this weight problem once and for all.



Have you had success with walking?




34 comments:

  1. I used to walk a lot more than I do now :/ I should probably start to get out and about by foot more, but the car makes being lazy too easy lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say after doing something every day for two weeks it becomes a habit, so that is what I kept in my mind when I first started and it worked to get me motivated x

      Delete
  2. I love walking, but have not tried doing it for exercise in quite the way you have, but it sounds like you have had amazing results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica. I have recently added extra workouts to the walking because my weight loss slowed down, but it has helped me to get myself back into exercising again x

      Delete
  3. You should be proud too - such a great achievement x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great achievement! Well done you! I have been on a fitness kick for the last 10 months, and lost almost 2 stone. It's a gradual process and every milestone should be celebrated :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Laura! Ditching 2 stone feels so good doesn't it x

      Delete
  5. best of luck in the weightloss, im lucky enough to have endless countryside around me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow go you! That is awesome.

    I don't generally keep track of what I walk although I'm starting to use Strava on my phone to track it, When we are in Paris for the weekend I was staggered to see I'd walked 12 miles in one day. Mind you, I bloody felt it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I won a fitbug ages ago on a bloggers competition and I find it so useful for keeping me motivated, it does really push me. It is surprising how quickly miles can add up when out and about x

      Delete
  7. Huge congrats to you. I absolutely hate walking, it kicks off headaches and severe bad moods in me, I have no idea why. I desperately need to lose weight though so I do try to do it but it's not regular enough to counteract what I eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olivia. Such a shame that walking has that affect on you, maybe it is allergies of the outdoors? Maybe you could try a walking in your lounge DVD, Lesley sansome does a good one x

      Delete
  8. Well done! you are doing fantastic! I have started to lose weight and have noticed a difference in my energy level and have been walking more than before. Having a puppy also helps with the walking xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. A puppy will definitely help. We have a puppy too and he keeps me on my toes that's for sure x

      Delete
  9. Oh wow - well done you! We have a new puppy so Mummy is going to be walking a lot more! She hopes to lose some weight too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Good luck with your weightloss x

      Delete
  10. Well done! I think walking is amazing, I used to do a lot before my mobility went south something I really miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. Sorry to hear your mobility has affected your ability to go walking, I bet you must find that extremely frustrating! x

      Delete
  11. The have recently had to start with a 6 mile school run (backwards and forwards- not each way) and that along with moving has resulted in a half stone weight lose. I am thrilled with this and hope to step it up. Good luck with your weight loss and I hope the exercise lifts your spirits x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done, half a stone loss is brilliant x

      Delete
  12. That's brilliant! That weight loss is fantastic and you look really good in that pic. No wonder you're pleased with what you've achieved.
    I love walking - it is definitely good for keeping you feeling happy and is great exercise too. I do around 11-12,000 a day most days and also run on top of that three times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, Counting your steps becomes very addictive doesn't it x

      Delete
  13. well done you, two stone is amazing - how long in time are you walking each day then if you are doing that many miles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On days that I walk the 7 miles in one go, it takes me about 1hr 40mins. Obviously a lot of days it is difficult to find the time to walk for that long so I break it down into 3 main walks then a couple of smaller ones. After a while you get to know how many miles it is to walk to certain landmarks in your area. Like, I know that if I walk to my local co-op and back it adds 2 miles to my daily total x

      Delete
  14. Incredible - I love the way you've stuck to it, and seen big results. I'm inspired! D and I are going off for the day together tomorrow, on a country walk - it's the treat I chose for my 40th birthday. I do love a good walk - it can't be beaten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 40th Nell! Enjoy your walk! x

      Delete
  15. Good for you darling. I love going out on a walk by myself. It competely clears my head and i love to take my camera with me to capture little moments in nature x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow you've done amazingly well! I've just got a fitbit and struggling to meet 5k each day right now! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think grief can last for decades... well done for everything you've achieved!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used to be a big walker then the time constraints of having to drop the children off at certain times etc made using the car much easier - time to get my walk on

    ReplyDelete
  19. Walking helped massively when i lost 4.5 stones .. i could do it with my pushchair and i walked for miles and miles :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love walking and find I can go miles with a baby in a buggy. Sadly with a toddler in tow I don't walk fast enough to lose weight

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...