Thursday, 9 April 2015

Visit Cambrils in Spain - The Old Town


Stepping into Cambrils Old Town from the newer part of this pretty fishing town is like walking through a time warp. The contrast is surprising and takes you back. Situated on the Costa Dorada it is about an hour or so from Barcelona and a ten minute drive from the bigger town of Salou. The old part of town is a very special place and a must see if you are in the area. It isn't very big, but definitely worth the twenty minute walk from the main town centre to get there.


The town of Cambrils dates back to pre-historic times, although it really began to take shape during the Roman period. Its rich history is evident in its beautiful architecture and if you visit the Cambrils History museum you will discover an interesting past. There is also an unmissable Roman archaeological site with remains dating back from the sixth century BC & AD.

It isn't a place to go shopping although there are a few small shops dotted around, it is more of a place to enjoy lunch, the architecture and to just wander around and enjoy a slice of authentic Spain.



The buildings are colourful, the atmosphere is warm and inviting as locals take shade from the hot sun underneath their balcony's. The pretty winding walkways are a relief from the hot Spanish sun and walking around with my ice cream I felt so relaxed as I admired the gorgeous hanging baskets and pretty pots that the local residents are extremely proud to show off.







This little town is so full of charm and was such a pleasure to visit. The local people are really friendly and as Cambrils is known as the gastronomic capital of Catalonia, the food is really good. And after a leisurely walk around the old town you can walk down to the gorgeous beach in the main part of town, paddle your toes in the sea and enjoy one of the many tapas bars.

Where To Stay - We stayed self catering with Euro Camp  - Cambrils Park which is a short bus ride away that only costs two euros each way or you can walk it along the sea front in about an hour. If you prefer a hotel then there are quite a few places in Cambrils itself. The top three hotel reviews for Cambrils on Trip advisor go to Monica Hotel, Estival Centurion Playa and Tryp Port Cambrils.

36 comments:

  1. Wow, that really is a charming place, and it looks exactly the sort of thing hubs and I would love to explore. I love the architecture and the little lanes of buildings, very pretty! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. Yes, it is a very pretty town. The locals hanging baskets and pots outside their properties are lovely x

      Delete
  2. Oh I want that sunshine! Reminds me of wandering in Malta last year. Thanks for the tour and gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing it made me want to return. Long sunny days, bliss x

      Delete
  3. Looks like a lovely, quiet town not so different from many around where I live. I love exploring these lesser-known places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is very quiet. A lovely spot away from the busy tourists x

      Delete
  4. Oh what a wonderful old town. I love it when people go and love at the heart of the place they are visiting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a gorgeous little place, Very picturesque x

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful place! I'm hoping to visit Spain later this year though I'm not sure where exactly! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love Spain. Costa Dorada is gorgeous x

      Delete
  6. what a gorgeous place! I love exploring when on holiday and as much as I do the touristy thing I love to see where the locals go. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I'm not one to sit around the pool all day, I like to get out and about x

      Delete
  7. Stunning! I love Spain, it's been far to long since we have visited, must go again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorgeous place isn't it. Such a friendly country x

      Delete
  8. What a lovely old Spanish town, steeped in history. I would really love to visit and try the food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is well worth a visit. A lovely part of Spain x

      Delete
  9. This place looks really nice and so pretty, your photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nayna. It really is a very pretty town x

      Delete
  10. It does look very atmospheric - I'd love to explore more of mainland Spain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does have a lovely vibe. Great place x

      Delete
  11. I just love anywhere that has small, narrow, windy streets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I love exploring towns like that x

      Delete
  12. What a gorgeous place - it looks right up my street. You can't beat a good old bit of authentic food and beautiful architecture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds and looks gorgeous. We were looking at Costa Dorada for our family holiday this year as I have been a few times and it is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous old town. We visited Salou many years ago but missed out on this gem.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This place looks so beautiful and quaint! I actually have a friend going to Costa Dorado in a few weeks so im going to share this with her! Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love finding the real traditional bits of spain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooh I love this ~ windy street s just running off

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh your photos are gorgeous! They remind me of our holiday to Menorca last year x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing looking place, I love how tranquil it all looks. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those streets look so quiet and so beautiful, such a contrast to what I see every day. We're off to Spain tomorrow, a bit further down the coast to Costa Calida and I am so excited, seeing your photos has just added to it ... I may burst anytime now.
    Thanks so much for linking up to Time Traveller I really enjoy walking with you in Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like a traditional Spanish town with so many great buildings to see and little streets to explore

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love old Spain. I love soaking up the culture and food, and always find the people really friendly. This sounds like a beautiful place to visit, somewhere I'd definitely go

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow what a really beautiful place to visit or even live! .. i love the little alley ways and cut throughs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ive been to the Costa Dorada so many times but never here and it looks so beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  25. That looks like a stunning place to visit, so beautiful

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...