Tuesday, 14 April 2015

The Path To A Stress Free Life - Organising The Small Stuff

One of the things that help me on my path towards a stress free life is being more organised. I haven't quite mastered this to perfection, but I'm a lot more organised that I was ten years ago. When you have clutter everywhere it can make life more stressful because you can never find your keys, the kids PE kit, that important letter that you were supposed post last week or your passport when you need it. I have a place for everything, not in the OCD sense of the word, but I do have certain places for certain things like a safe with key for my documents, a drawer for my make up, and a shelf just for my hair stuff like straighteners, hair dryer and products, hooks for keys and baskets for the crap. 


My life just runs more smoothly if I can put my hand to what I need in a hurry, especially early mornings when I'm half asleep. It also makes me a lot less anxious if I'm not pulling my hair out because I can't find my phone charger or keys before I walk out the front door and it will make me late searching the house. I learnt from my Mum how to be a bit more organised because she wasn't. We were always late for everything because mum had lost her keys, again. I would feel the panic in my toes rising, the minute she'd say "Emma, have you seen my keys?" and then by the time we left the house after searching for an hour I'd feel like I was having a full blown panic attack. I swore that when I left home I would have key hooks. And I do.

1. Train The Kids - I try to train the kids to put stuff back where they found it, they are not great at doing it but it is surprising how quick they realize the importance of it when they get to their teens and they have lost their phone charger for the thousandth time. So I give them baskets to put their chargers and leads. I call it the wire basket. Some kids are better at using it than others, but boy, does it give me a buzz when I see their 'wires' in their baskets. It means no pulling the house apart to find their camera lead etc. 

2. Hooks - I have hooks for everything, A key hook by the front door. Hooks attached to the under-stairs for jackets, cardi's and scarves. Hooks for PE bags were my favorite hooks when the kids were at school because it meant looking for their gym stuff was a thing of the past. I mainly use those cheap small screw in hooks but I also have those hooks that you can buy for backs of the doors and I love them for hanging bags and hats. I just love hooks!

3. Baskets - Baskets of all sizes are great. I have one for junk like batteries, hair bands, sellotape, glue, paper clips, stapler and all those small bits and bobs that you can never find when you need them. A basket for arts & crafts is essential too for the kids, for obvious reasons. I also have a pretty white basket just for me, where I keep my camera, phone charger, lippy and sunglasses. 

4. Greetings - Keep a box or a drawer spare for envelopes, gift wrap, ribbon, stamps, pens, paper and a few greetings cards for birthdays etc. I keep a few blank cards in my drawer for writing out quick Thank you's or notes to friends. I find this drawer so useful and it has been a life saver many times when I have forgotten a birthday.

5. Gifts Galore - I have a gift drawer. I fill it with stuff that I add to my weekly shop like shower gels, body butters, hair products, small toys, candles etc. I mainly save this stuff to make up hampers at Christmas, but it is also really useful for times you need a small gift for someone on the quick. 



Do you have any tips for organising the small stuff?

19 comments:

  1. Such sensible ideas with the busy lives we all lead it's so important to stay on top of things and keep organised! I am a big believer in getting the kids to lend a hand and tidy up after themselves as well and I also have baskets and boxes for everything, it drives my other half a bit nuts but at least I know where everything is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to start reading the Japanese declutter book. I want to stop it once and for all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hooks too - we need to get some to organise the school stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fantastic tips! Funnily enough I said to my husband about getting a key hook! Also we (try to) get the kids to put everything back where it came from x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can never find anything in our house! We literally have stuff everywhere. I long to be one of those organised people but I fear I never will!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have so many baskets for crap :D A great post full of fab tips. I aimed to get more organised in 2015, but so far it's not happened. I really need to get my act together, as I know when I have a declutter and organise, I do feel mentally better xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips - our house goes into meltdown most mornings! Mummy is a bit of a hoarder too x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm quite organised too but my kids don't seem to be! These are all good tips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great ideas. We are not particularly organised - really need to make use of some of these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not great for organising, its not that I don't do it - I just do it in phases which isn't a great way to keep on top of things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a drawer full of birthday cards and write everything on a calendar so we remember

    ReplyDelete
  12. some great tips thanks for sharing, im not great unless its to do with my room and my makeup or notebooks and stationary x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have tons of boxes around the house, love organising my stuff in them. Great idea with the greeting card, saves all the last-minute panic if you forget to get one

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super ideas, i tend to have a no flat surface is allowed .. my husband suffers with flat surface syndrome and clutters every surface .. i just open drawers, cupboards or the bin and sweep it all in ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. By the time you've trained them, it will time for them to leave home! haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm really bad at sorting the samll stuff, I want to get more organised. Love the idea of training the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have just moved house and I am determined not to let the clutter take over here like it did in our old place. I now have places for everything, but need to train everyone else to use them as I seem to be constantly tidying things away at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is super helpful. I seriously need to get organised! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Baskets and boxes, especially wooden one are my ideal hiding places for a small items

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...