Tuesday, 7 April 2015

My Garden Makeover - Before And After



It is no secret that I love gardening much more than I love doing my housework. The thrill of getting mud stuck behind my painted fingernails is like heaven to me. The earthy aroma of a damp spring garden intoxicates me and beckons me out from my cosy, warm house into my winter neglected back yard. 

I scan the mess and feel disillusioned. Where do I start? I could quite easily turn my back and head back inside but I know if I don't make a start now, summer will arrive and I'll be devastated that I can't potter about and drink my Earl Grey on the deck in the morning sunshine.  


First thing is first, Get my huge Eucalyptus tree cut right back because it has grown so much in the past four years that I struggle to even get any sunshine in the garden. Nothing near it will grow and the garden is quite shady. Once that is professionally completed by a local tree surgeon, I get to work burning old rotten wood and twigs that had accumulated over the winter. Where does it come from? It baffles me. I guess I have a scrap wood pixie.


The weather is bitter cold but the warmth of the bonfire keeps me going. slowly the wood pile vanishes. A few trips to the tip with stuff that I can't burn and the garden is clear. We use the wood chippings from the Eucalyptus to create a tidy play area at the bottom of the garden and the logs that we asked the tree surgeon to leave behind have been neatly stacked to season ready for the log burner at Christmas.


I'm exhausted, cold to the bone and I ache from every muscle but as I stand back and admire my work I feel elated. My garden is almost ready for the summer. My hard work has most definitely paid off.

I love that Hubby ripped down the rotten pergola and created a new deck from old shipping crates. He even managed to build me raised beds that I have filled with pretty buddleja bushes to create a butterfly oasis come the summer.


My garden has been completely transformed from a wreck into a tidy place to relax. I have used and recycled everything I could get my hands on for furniture, but a lot of it is old and on it's last legs. I dream of adding a touch of luxury to my garden with some beautiful seating for chilling with the family, a firepit for toasting marshmallows, a decent BBQ for summer gatherings and Cocktail making accessories. I would create an outside room where we can all sit and relax as a family.

Debenhams have an Easter bloggers garden makeover competition live at the moment. They are giving away an Easter garden party set worth £1500, including a garden furntiture set, BBQ and more. All you have to do to be in with a chance of winning is create a mood board on your blog with five garden products from Debenhams and tell them why you would love to win. 

I would love to win as a reward for all my hard work out in the garden this spring. Adding a touch of luxury to my garden makeover would be an absolute dream come true for me. It would make my life!


40 comments:

  1. It's quite a difference isn't it? We have been working on our garden this week and it's been very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica, yes I find it hugely satisfying to get the garden looking tidy. I need to work on the front next x

      Delete
  2. The after is just awesome! We really need to work on our garden this year, as you said, before we know it, summer will be here and then I'll regret not having somewhere nice to sit outside in the sunshine! Loving the table and chairs set, they're gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, It has been hard work but I'm so glad I braved the cold and got stuck in. It is so worth it x

      Delete
  3. I am startting to bring my garden alive on a budget and it is very rewarding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is isn't it Claire. It is so nice when it is all tidy ready for summer x

      Delete
  4. your garden looks amazing! Wish I had a garden now lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela. Have you got a balcony? You can do loads with a small space x

      Delete
  5. wow that looks amazing. I'm doing my garden at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma. So rewarding isn't it x

      Delete
  6. How beautiful! What an amazing job you've done! Good luck in the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Would you like to come and transform ours please? That looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a transformation. To achieve it on a budget must be even more satisfying. We are embarking on our own makeover but I think it's going to take a long time Good luck with the competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louisa. Good Luck with your makeover, I'm sure you will have it looking great in no time x

      Delete
  9. You have done such an amazing job. I love your transformation!! I am a bit envious of that tyre swing too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keri-Anne. The tyre swing is a popular feature in the garden x

      Delete
  10. That looks fabulous - the garden is next on our list to do

    ReplyDelete
  11. That transformation is amazing, you should make a career out of it x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow what a difference it looks stunning - I wish we could do something with our garden but I have no idea what. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. I get a lot of inspiration from Pinterest and just add to my design as I go along x

      Delete
  13. Oh my what a transformation, such a good idea to keep the chippings to use underneath the tyre swing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been hard work, but worth it. The chippings are not only functional but being Eucalyptus they smell divine too x

      Delete
  14. Wow you've done an amazing job - I can't wait to get out into the garden and get sorting it all out ready for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, its been worth the effort x

      Delete
  15. You did a great job well done. I hate gardening but I am the only one who does it in my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is worth the hard work and so nice when you can enjoy it in the summer x

      Delete
  16. I love this .. you rock! i must admit i feel the same way about gardening as you .. it can be raining and i would still be equally as happy to be out there x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wander how I would live without my garden. It is definitely one of my most favourite things to do, even in the rain x

      Delete
  17. Wow. That looks amazing, definitely worth all the hard work

    ReplyDelete
  18. loving that pink cocktail shaker! here's to summer! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. The new decking looks fantastic. Good luck with the competition.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...