Monday, 20 April 2015

It Was Love At First Sight


This weekend in 1988 I started seeing my soulmate. I was seventeen, he was sixteen and it was love at first sight. I adore him even more now than I ever did. We moved in together after two weeks, got engaged after six weeks and married the following year. We have had our troubles in the past, but those troubles have made us an unbreakable couple.  I knew the minute I saw him that he was 'the one'. It know it sounds so cheesy, but it's true.




He was kneeling, the first time I ever saw him
repairing an old rusty lock of an even older door
in a building that could have been beautiful
had it not been so ugly.
Concrete grey walls, rotting windows and grubby floors
that turned white socks black. His face so out of place
along side such gloom and decaying decadence.
Slowly he glances up at me  and I notice the green of his eyes
penetrating deep into the brownness of mine
searching for a slither of sensibility. I love him.
I'm sure I do. If only I could speak. I think I might be sick
right here in front of him. I scurry sideways
panicked and peculiar like a crazed crab
searching hysterically for a place to hide
the rubescense of my cheeks, so terrified by this ordinary meeting
with the boy who's name I do not know.

21 comments:

  1. What a great love story. I'm always amazed by couples who meet so young and stay together growing stronger over the years. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful love story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a beautiful post. How lovely to find your soul mate when you were young x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow - what a great story ! #MagicMoments

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess we both found love at first sight em xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow. I have been with mu soulmate a long time too and I work with him and I want to grow old with him. Congratulations for weathering the storms

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful story! 😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww what a lively strit beautil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh that's made my heart all of a-flutter! Beautiful words. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, what a lovely piece of writing and how great that you remember your first meeting so clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful story of young love that has lasted. Love the retro looking photo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a wonderful story, me and my partner met on match.com and 7 years later two kids getting married this May.x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Emma what a wonderful post, I remember reading about the year you met before and it was just as lovely this time round. Beautiful post, so fabulously written x

    ReplyDelete
  14. aw how sweet, its nice to look back and remember why you got togther in the first place

    ReplyDelete
  15. That poem is just the sweetest! I want some more of those! #magicmoments

    ReplyDelete
  16. aww this is so so sweet i love the idea of love at first sight .. my hubs and i were .. although a split in the middle and 17 years later we get back together!

    Thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a lovely love story, may you always be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aawwww how lovely - you are the same age as my mummy! She has never had love at first sight! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh lovely, what a sweet story

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww this made me feel all warm inside! How lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, such a lovely story! #magicmoments

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...