Ever since I started my juicing journey I have strived to give up meat, with fantastic health results. I've lost weight and my blood pressure was so low that my doctor nearly fell of her chair during my last check up. Anyway I'm aiming to reduce the amount of meat that the kids eat and I've been trying to get a good meatless burrito recipe that the kids will happily eat, instead of the minced meat burrito's that they love so much. I want them to see that meat free recipes can be just as yummy as their usual meat packed meals. When I made these Mexican bean burrito's the kids didn't even realise that they were meat free. They are really easy to make and extremely cheap so great if you are cooking on a budget.
Ingredients - Makes 32 Burrito's
- 340g Mango Chutney
- 400g Chickpeas in Water
- 2 x 410g Red Kidney Beans in Water
- 410g Green Lentils In Water
- 500g Mature Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 4 x Packets of Plain Tortilla Wraps (8 in a pkt)
- 500g Basmati Rice
- 2 x 400g Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 x Yellow Peppers, Finely chopped
- 1 x Large Onion, Finely Chopped
- Frozen Sweetcorn
- Half a Tube of Tomato Puree
- 2 x tsp Cumin
- 2 x tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Mild Curry powder
- Olive Oil, salt & pepper
1. Cook your rice. While that is cooking:
2. Split your chopped onion between 2 Large Pans. Fry in some olive oil, add your cumin, chilli powder & curry powder.
3. Add a can of kidney beans to each pan. Stir.
4. Add some tomato puree to each pan.
5. Add half a can of chickpeas to each pan. Stir.
6. Add half a can of lentils to each pan. Stir.
7. Add a pepper to each pan.
8. Add a tin of tomato's to each pan.
9. Add as much sweetcorn as you would like.
11. Leave to bubble on the cooker top gently for a few minutes.
12. Have a taste and add more spices until you achieve your preferred flavour. Some like it hot.
13. Add your cooked rice and give it a good mix up. Leave to cool.
14. Warm your wrap for ten seconds in the microwave, it makes it easier to wrap.
To Reheat From Frozen - Remove from foil wrapper, place in the microwave and cook on full power for 4 minutes.
To Reheat in The Oven - Leave in its foil wrapper, place on a baking tray, cook for 30 - 40 mins on a medium heat until piping hot all the way through.