Friday, 22 August 2014

Home on A Budget - Build An Airing Cupboard


My house is quite small. I'm not complaining because I love living here, I love my little old coastal house with its original 1930's doors and art deco fireplace. It feels more like home than any house I have ever lived in during my twenty five years of marriage, but I do lack storage and having an airing cupboard is something I really miss since downsizing. I'm always on the look out for space saving ideas so when Hubby suggested building me an airing cupboard over the stairs I jumped at it. We are yet to add a door or maybe a curtain, but it is great having a proper cupboard for my bed linen and tablecloths instead of having them shoved at the bottom of my wardrobe. I love it.


Hubby began by framing the cupboard and the interior shelving with 3x2 stud work that he bought from a local builders merchant for around £1.70 per piece for 2.4 metre lengths. He then added slated shelving, which was a roll of old bed slats. He found a left over piece of plasterboard from a previous job in his shed and he used that to box the cupboard in.



Voila, An airing cupboard on a budget!

5 comments:

  1. Wow this is a fantastic idea - Our little house is very short on storage (Weirdly our flat had more :) and we have exactly the same stairs set up so it would be perfect for us and I have always disliked the wasted space - thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great and fits perfectly. Looks like it has always been there and not out of place at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly what I have been looking to do in our house! I didn't realise it was so "do-able"! Off to get supplies tomorrow, can I ask, how wide is the actual cupboard? Thanks for posting about this
    Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're looking at doing exactly this! Can you tell me if its attached to the ceiling somehow?

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, no we haven't attached it to the ceiling. A year down the line and this extra space is fabulous. Good luck with yours.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...