Thursday, 8 May 2014

#MorrisonsMum Bank Holiday Shop


Last week I was utterly delighted to discover that I was one of the many lovely BritMums to have been selected to be a #MorrisonsMum for the Bank Holiday weekend. I heard my postie rattle my post box, so I dashed out to see if I was one of the lucky Mum's to have been sent £80 in Morrisons vouchers. 

I must admit it's been years since I last shopped at Morrisons, mainly because since moving house I no longer live that local to a store, plus I live right out in the sticks they don't deliver to me yet. Usually I shop online at another well known supermarket so I was really interested to see how well I could do with my £80.


As soon as I walked through the supermarket doors my eye was drawn to plants, and not just any old plants, HALF PRICE PLANTS!  Instantly I could feel my adrenaline levels rising as I put three in my trolley. I already felt this shop was going well.


The plants were a fab bargain, but my Morrisons bargain of the day had to go to the huge 12.5kg sack of potatoes for £3.49. We eat a lot of spuds in our house, being a large family with a touch of Irish blood we do love to eat them with most meals, so I love this price.

Morrisons tell us that they have cut the prices on over a thousand of our favourite products. Not temporary reductions, these are new every day low prices on the things we buy every week. Bright yellow markers are everywhere telling us that the product is cheaper and it’s staying cheaper.


Our neighbours had invited us along to their bank holiday BBQ, so I headed for the meat aisle, and there was a lot to choose from. I particularly liked the 3 for £10 offer on certain meats,  So I picked up a few of those along with a chicken sharing platter and some Cava.






I also grabbed an Indian takeaway for two for a fiver, an old favourite of mine. These are great for a quick, cheap takeaway on a Friday night, especially if like us you are saving holiday pennies and are cutting back on luxuries.



I did really well with my £80 and I even managed to get myself a lovely new fry pan reduced from £5 to £3.75, I was chuffed. I found there to be lots of great deals and I love how they chill their veggies with cold steam, very impressive indeed. I also liked the fact that there were a lot of very smartly dressed staff everywhere, always on hand should you need them.



Usually at our neighbours there are two BBQ's on the go and Papa Syder helps out with the cooking. The meats we chose we yummy and everyone enjoyed them. We had a great time. 

While I was shopping in Morrisons I picked up the Ingredients for a Syder family favourite, Sausage Plait. Its so easy and cheap to make and the kids love it.



Ingredients - Serves 6 - Price per head £1.22
  • Morrisons Signature Thick Pork & Brambly Apple Sausages 6 Pack x 2 
  • Jus Rol Ready To Use Puff Pastry 500g
  • Morrisons Cranberry Sauce - 3 tbsp
  • Grated Apple x 2
  • Chopped Red onion x 1
  • Dried Sage x 1tsp
  • 1 egg beaten to glaze

 Method


  1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. 
  2. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle. 
  3. Squeeze the sausage meat out of the sausages into a mixing bowl. 
  4. Mix in the cranberry sauce, grated apple and sage. Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  5. Put the sausage mixture into a rectangular shape and lift into the centre of the pastry.
  6. Cut slits into the sides of the pastry, roughly about 2cm apart, either side of the sausage meat at a diagonal. 
  7. Fold the top end of the pastry over then alternately cross the cut pastry, overlapping, to form a plait and to cover the sausage mixture. When you come to the end, tuck in the remaining pastry. 
  8. Lift onto a baking tray and brush with beaten egg. 
  9. Bake for 35 minutes, until cooked and the pastry is golden.


*We were sent £80 in Morrisons vouchers from BritMums for the purpose of this blog post. Our opinions are honest and our own.

4 comments:

  1. The sausage platt looks yummy xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bargains galore! Love the sound of that sausage plait. Thanks for recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will certainly be trying the sausage plait recipe. Fab words and pictures. Commenting for myself and on behalf of BritMums and thanking you for taking part

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a haul! I've been really enjoying these posts.... I have a Morrisons just around the corner and it's fab... your the first person I've seen buy plant stuff in this promotion *why-doesn't-that-surprise-me-I-know-how-much-you-love-your-garden* X.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...