Monday, 31 March 2014

The London Bus - A Symbol Of My Childhood


For Christmas Hubby bought me a Pandora bracelet and I was totally surprised. I wasn't expecting it and ever since I've been receiving charms to build up my personal story bracelet. Yesterday was Mothers Day over here in the UK and the kids bought me a London Bus charm. 

I was so thrilled as I associate London buses with my childhood, not only because I used to catch two of them to school & back everyday but also because my Brother (His lovely wife blogs over at Lou's Lake Views) and I would buy a red bus rover for 60p every Saturday morning and go off exploring the London bus routes.

Most of the London buses in the early 80's were the old Routemasters, complete with a conductor. We would spend hours swinging from the back pole of the buses and we were skilled at running for a Routemaster and jumping on the back, grabbing hold tightly of the pole, praying we wouldn't fall off.

We discovered lots of new places, saw lots of weird & wonderful sights and sat many times on the Lions at Trafalgar Square eating jam sandwiches as we tried to spot our Great Uncle Sonny, 'The Bird Man Of Trafalgar Square' feeding the pigeons. It was an adventure and I often wonder how the hell we ever survived it!




10 comments:

  1. Awww what a lovely gift, such thoughtful kids bless them. Funnily enough, Hubby bought me the London bus on my first birthday here in Canada and it's one of my faves, a little reminder of home xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priceless memories triggered by cute little things =) #whatsthestory

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's lovely! How wonderful to have gone off exploring London by bus with your brother! I loved the old routemaster buses :) I have a pandora bracelet and it's filled with charms that tell my story x #WhatstheStory

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary to remember some of the things we did as children. Looks like a perfect present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow that's lovely, what a wonderful gesture from the kids. It's so nice to remember times gone by isn't it and what a superb reminder. Your bracelet must have some amazing memories attached to it. Such a great post, brings back so many memories for me too - I moved to London in 1989 and left in 2010! Love the photo as well #whatsthestory

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a gorgeous little charm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous charm.... and loved the story - it must have been such fun jumping on and off those route masters! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post, Emma, and I think your London bus charm is fabulous! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Love the bus charm its so cute x I used to love the routemaster buses too x what amazing memories x

    ReplyDelete
  10. #whatsthestory What a thoughtful gift to cherish, lovely memories!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...