Thursday, 6 March 2014

How Does Your Garden Grow - The Spring Tidy Up


The dusty remnants of last night's bonfire lay eerily abandoned in the garden. The once jovial flames that danced the night away are merely a distant memory. A memory of the enthusiastic spring gardener who tossed hedge cuttings, fallen tree leaves and sawn off branches onto the hot red blazing glory, leaving a trail of grey smoke drifting across the neighbourhood. 


This morning the garden is now clear of most of it's winter debris. Neglected Leylandii hedges have been trimmed to a more manageable height and the stunning wild rose bush that suddenly sprung from within the hedge last summer has been pruned to perfection. The Ivy has been cut with a heavy hand revealing a wooden fence that sits unassumingly beneath the huge mass of creeping, twisted foliage.


The hens appear to have unexpectedly taken a liking to the Sedums. They have pecked at every plant, every rubbery leaf showing signs of chicken attack. Strange...they have not touched them in previous years and as one of my favourite plants in the garden, I feel an overwhelming urge to protect them so the hens have now lost their freedom to roam and will be sectioned off. Naughty girls!


The compost heap is once again full, the winter cobwebs in the shed have been left intact, shrubs have been transplanted, the deck swept, the red watering can eagerly waiting to be filled and fresh garden plans have been drawn. I stand before my garden, anticipating the hard graft ahead and triumphantly whisper "Bring it on!"


Mammasaurus and How Does Your Garden Grow?

14 comments:

  1. I wish I could sort my garden out lol . With all my building work it looks more like a builders yard than a garden :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naughty Hens indeed! But I'm sure they are adorable. Love the thought of a bonfire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, say bring it on. Our crazy weather here in southwest Louisiana (summer one day and ice storm the next) makes my gardening a nightmare. But we will have the real Spring someday. Enjoy your garden! Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh your so country keeping hens i bet you just love collecting the eggs well i guess if you put their poo around your plants it might make them spring back #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been clearing out my garden too and cutting things back.... it's the first chance I've had, it's rained so much! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our chooks are currently under coop arrest to give the grass some recovery time! I didn't realise just how destructive free range hens would be. Good job we love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love a good bonfire to clear the decks. Your pictures are beautiful and your words just divine as ever xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. BAD BAD chickens - that was Mummy's plant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden always looks so wonderful... Cannot wait to see the spring colours! ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Spring-cleaning the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh, I can smell the bonfire from here (do love a good fire!). We've spent today pruning and tidying and clearing too - and our cobwebs are still intact as well

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful words and beautiful photos - I love how crisp they are - and how they look as though the reader is peeking into unseen conners of the garden.
    Sorry about the delay in commenting, I’m back from my trip now and loving reading through all the posts. And as usual – thanks for joining in x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...