Wednesday, 30 October 2013

The Gallery - Halloween


Carving Pumpkins 1979



During the 1970's kids in the UK didn't really Trick or Treat, or dress up or even really celebrate Halloween. It was something the Americans did in movies, not many Families in East London. However, that changed for us when we were lucky enough to spend Halloween in Canada in 1979. 

They really celebrate it in style over there and I was totally fascinated by all the decorations, everywhere I looked including MacDonald's (something else I had never tried until Canada). My Aunt & Uncle introduced my parents to Happy Meals. Mum was quite strict with us eating healthy food and she rarely bought takeaway food, so I can't actually ever remember visiting Maccie D's before, and boy did we enjoy it, especially as the free novelty gift was a special Halloween certificate for a dollar, me and my younger Brother were thrilled. 

We also carved our first pumpkins in Canada, something I totally loved doing and still do. In fact, my experience of Halloween in Canada left a big impression on me and I have always liked to make an effort with my own kids, including thinking up clever ideas for our pumpkins...



 Happy Halloween!




15 comments:

  1. It must have been fab to be in canada at that time. I love the bare bum man lol xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, what an amazing experience for you.
    Love your 'cheeky' pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos, my cousin lives in Canada and his Halloween photos are always amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing what crazy pumpkin decorations you come up with every year! Experiencing a Canadian halloween back in the 70's must have been so exciting

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG thats pumpkin scarecrow is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are fab memories. We certainly never had pumpkin fun when I was a kid....bit of a non-event really back then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful memories :) And that pumpkin scarecrow made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the last picture. So full of fun and humour

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hee, hee, LOVE the cheeky scarecrow Halloween pumpkin!! I am loving being somewhere that actually has pumpkins and it's 'autumn' so we can really embrace the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahah love the cheeky pumpkin-scarecrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a fabulous post - great memories and I love that pumpkin. It's our first time doing pumpkins this year so try not to laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great memories, and love that pumpkin scarecrow! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's funny how pumpkins didn't really make an appearance in the UK until much later isn't it? We had to carve swedes! Love halloween too, and your mooning pumpkin is just fab! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant. That last picture is so funny. I remember Halloween in the 70's.... it was about carving out a pumpkin and playing bobbin apples! X

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...