Monday, 28 October 2013

My First Day At Secondary School


I had an anxious, nervous tummy the morning of my first day of secondary school. It was 1981 and I had heard rumours from older girls of newcomers heads getting flushed down toilet's, dinner money being nicked, a terrifying headmistress that ruled with an iron rod and worst of all, a ghost in the clock tower.

Mum quickly lined us up for our back to school photo, Dad was parked out the front in his American Pontiac Firebird, reving the big, noisy engine. I thought I was going to be sick at the thought of the attention Dad's car would draw to me. And I was right, because as we pulled up outside the back gate, Barry Manilow blasting from the car stereo, everyone turned to stare. The older girls with moody faces and cigarettes hanging from their lips looked terrifying. 

My legs, felt like lead as I fumbled for the silver door handle, desperate to remain behind the tinted windows of this huge monstrosity. As I climbed out of the car I blushed so burning red that I thought my cheeks would explode and under my breath I begged "Please Dad, don't sound the horn" but he did and even more heads turned to look at the cool American car with the nervous new kid. At that moment, I thought I wouldn't make it through the gate without throwing up. Thankfully, I had arranged to knock for my Friend who lived next door to the very scary school gate, I was fine and I got through my first day without bumping into the clock tower ghost. Phew!

9 comments:

  1. I have only hazy memories of my first day at secondary school, it's wonderful that you remember it so clearly! Lovey post x #WhatstheStory

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a good memory, I don't remember my first day at school at all. Love that photo! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh it only seems like a min ago lol. Funny I wore green as well lol xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful story beautifully told, just brilliant from beginning to end. As ever I felt like I was there with you every step of the way until you reached your friend's front door. I hope you didn't get to meet that clock tower ghost. Thank you so much for sharing with #whatsthestory

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound absolutely terrifying! Glad you were fine in the end. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah i remember my 1st day at high school, seems so long ago now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember ghost and head flushing when I started secondary school, none of which materialized! I did spend quite a few lunch hours wetting toilet roll and throwing it onto the ceiling with force to make 'bogroll angels' though....
    Love the photo !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED reading this...real life Uncle Buck'!
    I don't want to remember my first day at secondary school...the flashbacks might bring on a migraine.
    Great post! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Parents can be so embarrassing..... I could really feel your nerves reading that..... and when your dad beeped his horn - oh no! Glad you got through the gate safely, the big girls used to worry me too! X

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...