Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Cooking On A Budget - Shepherds Pie With A Twist


Shepherds Pie is always a good, hearty meal choice for feeding a large family on a budget. Usually I make it with mincemeat and carrots but sometimes for a change I replace the carrots with baked beans. It's a good alternative if you have a child who point blank refuses to eat carrots. It was how my Mum used to make it for me and my five Brothers when we were growing up, so making it this way, for me is a real comfort meal.

Ingredients - Serves 6 - 8 Cost - approx £1 per person
  • 500g Minced Beef or lamb
  • 1 x Onion (finely chopped)
  • 1 x Garlic Clove (crushed)
  • 2 x Tins of Baked Beans
  • 2.5 Kg Bag Of Potatoes
  • Dash of Olive Oil
  • Dash of worcestershire sauce
  • 1 x packet of Colemans (or shops own) Shepherds Pie Mix



Method

1. Peel & chop your potatoes, put on to boil.
2. Add a dash of oil to a large frying pan, add the mincemeat, onion & garlic and cook until mincemeat is browned.
3. Mix up the Colemans shepherds pie mix in a jug and add to the mincemeat. Add a dash of worcestershire Sauce, Simmer for a few minutes then pour into your shepherds pie oven proof dish.
4. Add the baked beans and mix into the mincemeat.
5. Drain and mash your potatoes a knob of butter and a dash of milk. Then add to the top of the mincemeat
6. Cook in the oven on a low heat for approx 30 minutes, until the mash is golden brown on top.
7. Serve and Enjoy.


10 comments:

  1. My very favourite meal as a kid (you know the one when someone says'if you could have anything for dinner, what would it be?') was ....Shepherd's Pie and baked beans!!!! Thanks for bringing that memory back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, yes the same here. I always think of my Mum when I cook it this way xxx

      Delete
  2. We make it with beans too, there's something so nice about it isn't there? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so comforting...proper winter food xxx

      Delete
  3. I make it with beans too....Much nicer then carrots....hehehe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great isn't it, the kids always seem to prefer it with beans too xxx

      Delete
  4. Love this nan used to make a fab one . I will pass this on to Kevin xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dutch hubby likes this with big chunks of beef and a layer of red cabbage. Think he calls it Hunter's pie. The Dutch are always mixing everything with mashed potatoes! Rib sticking, I guess. Hugs, Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that sounds delicious! Will have to try that xxx

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...