Shepherds Pie is always a good, hearty meal choice for feeding a large family on a budget. Usually I make it with mincemeat and carrots but sometimes for a change I replace the carrots with baked beans. It's a good alternative if you have a child who point blank refuses to eat carrots. It was how my Mum used to make it for me and my five Brothers when we were growing up, so making it this way, for me is a real comfort meal.
Ingredients - Serves 6 - 8 Cost - approx £1 per person
- 500g Minced Beef or lamb
- 1 x Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 x Garlic Clove (crushed)
- 2 x Tins of Baked Beans
- 2.5 Kg Bag Of Potatoes
- Dash of Olive Oil
- Dash of worcestershire sauce
- 1 x packet of Colemans (or shops own) Shepherds Pie Mix
1. Peel & chop your potatoes, put on to boil.
2. Add a dash of oil to a large frying pan, add the mincemeat, onion & garlic and cook until mincemeat is browned.
3. Mix up the Colemans shepherds pie mix in a jug and add to the mincemeat. Add a dash of worcestershire Sauce, Simmer for a few minutes then pour into your shepherds pie oven proof dish.
4. Add the baked beans and mix into the mincemeat.
5. Drain and mash your potatoes a knob of butter and a dash of milk. Then add to the top of the mincemeat
6. Cook in the oven on a low heat for approx 30 minutes, until the mash is golden brown on top.
7. Serve and Enjoy.