Wednesday, 4 September 2013

The Gallery - Back To School


Last year I started an Open University degree course in Criminology and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This year I have changed my degree for English literature, aiming towards next year studying creative writing at degree level.

I have studied before as a mature student by completing a foundation course at college, then going on to study at university for a year, which I totally loved. Attending Uni was brilliant. I made loads of lovely Friends and studied some really interesting subjects (like Darwin, globalisation, map reading, Heritage studies, marketing, stone circles and archaeology). I went on some amazing field trips and basically had a ball. 

However, that same year I lost my Mum, separated from Hubby and struggled to hold it all together. As a result my studies suffered, so I decided to take a break from the course and return to it when I was more up to it. Since then I have moved house. Relocated to another part of the country, so I couldn't continue with the previous course that I loved so much.

So, I signed up for a completely different degree last year (which I enjoyed) and after a nice, long summer break, in the next few weeks I will be starting my second year of my new degree. My course for this year is 'The Arts, Past & Present' in which I will be studying subjects like Cezanne, Cleopatra, Maria Callas, The Faber Book of Beasts, English Christianity, art from Benin city, traditions in Ireland and lots more. I can not wait.

18 comments:

  1. yay go you! the new course sounds fantastic x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your studies, Emma, its never too late to learn.
    Joy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, that sounds like a great course. I hope you really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what an amazing year you have had. I can't even begin to think how you could have studied through all that change and distress, but the very very best of luck to you this year in your chosen course. It sounds fab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds very interesting. I enjoy learning new things. I'd like to do an OU degree at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck Emma. Fantastic that you are studying something you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, well done you. This all sounds very exciting. So great to have something for ourselves to focus on isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your second year it sounds so interesting, I'm pretty envious to be honest I would love to get a degree but education is so expensive over here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck to you! I have the greatest respect for adults who can make time to study. Sounds like you'll be doing something really interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds absolutely brilliant, I'm quite jealous actually :) I hope you have wonderful year x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. You never cease to amaze me. How utterly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds really interesting. I am about to start my final year as a mature student. It seems really scary to think that I have to work out what I want to do with my life very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, good for you. I don't think my brain is up for learning these days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I can get a degree you can ! Iove to study and I would do English lit if I was starting again . Good luck xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks a really interesting course! I think I'd love to do something like that now

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done you for going back to complete you course, sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...