Wednesday, 31 July 2013

The Gallery - Door


This is me around 1974. I'm sitting on the doorstep of my Nan & Granddad's house in East London. I remember that door so well because it was still on Nan's house right up until She passed away in 2011. I loved it and I swear blind its the reason behind why my favourite colour is red.

The front of my Grandparents house was always kept so immaculate. So neat, so tidy. Granddad's red roses would stand to attention as I skipped up the drive. Desperate to pick one of the bright red velvet blooms, I tried so hard to resist them. Instead, I would sit on the doorstep and admire their beauty. I knew that one day my garden would have roses just like Granddad's.

I think back to 2011, the last time I walked down Nan's drive, away from that red door. I glanced back and felt sad that Nan wasn't standing there waving me off like she usually was. I felt my eyes sting with tears as I knew it would be the last time that I ever saw that door, or my Nan again.


14 comments:

  1. Aww beautiful photos hunnie, I am hiking over from the photo gallery link up, I am a newbie blogger. Here is mine http://holdme2ranson.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/the-photo-gallery-doors.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab old photos! Your nan looked super stylish in her patterned dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful memories to hang on to. How fortunate you were to have a Nan in your life all those years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A special door indeed... That's obviously where you get your green fingers from too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to associate beautiful memories with a red door. Wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous photos and special, if sad, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So moving and it invoked so many of my own memories. A lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What special photos, lovely memories of your grandparents x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your family posts. So many memories... and a fabulous door. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful memory to hold onto, and how lovely that you have a photograph of yourself on the doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely memories! With my grandparents, it was a greeny blue front door and paintwork. I always have a great rush of nostalgia whenever I see it, it's the colour of Southwark Council, so I see it a lot on my way to School.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post and beautiful photo memories

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that's a red door! So lovely to have had such a close relationship with your Nan. X. Love the picture of you - the perfect 70'3 shot!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...