Friday, 5 July 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow - Roses And Geraniums


It's early and it's Friday. The first load of washing has been hung neatly out to dry. I have a slight obsession with things on a washing line having to be hung perfectly straight. As I sit on my garden bench, with my morning coffee, I ponder where that obsession comes from, as my Mum wasn't fussy like that. I imagine it was probably my Nan, who suffered with a slight case of ocd. 



I picture myself standing in her immaculate back garden. The high hedges are trimmed to perfection, the grass is always short and neat, red roses line Grandads shed and the patio is filled with pots of geraniums. I stand beside her, handing her wooden pegs as she carefully hangs out her washing. I can see Grandad in his shed, busy filing something that is clamped tightly in a blue vice. He spots me looking at him, so he smiles, nods and does an eyebrow dance. Grandad has the bushiest eyebrows that I had ever seen. 

I giggle and Nan suddenly asks "Are you listening to me?" I answer quickly "Course, Nan" She looks at me with a curious eye "What did I just say then?" "Erm, I forgot" was the only response 
I could come up with. Nan playfully grumbles, she knows that she talks too much and that I am very easily distracted, especially by my Grandad. 

Nan picks up the empty laundry basket and rests it on her hip. She starts to head back to the house, but then Pat from next door calls her from over the low picket fence that separates their gardens. Nan puts down the basket, slides her hand into the pocket of her apron and pulls out a packet of cigarettes. I look up at her as she leans closer to Pat who is offering her a light from a green clippo. I find it bewildering that Nan still manages to talk with a fag butt precariously hanging from her bottom lip. It is as if it is glued to her mouth and I think to myself "One day that fag butt will dangerously fall to the floor" but it never does. Nan never did lose her grip on the cigarette.



Roses and Geraniums remind me of my Nan and Grandad.




Mammasaurus - How Does Your Garden Grow?

13 comments:

  1. lovely write up and the pictures are fab i can imagine sitting in your garden with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Roses, I am chilled about pretty much everything but I don't like wonky washing! How odd x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husbands dad also has the bushiest eyebrows I have ever seen and there are already telltale signs that Papasaurus's are to follow in his fathers footsteps with rogue long eyebrow hairs sprouting out in random directions appearing every month.
    Love the photos both old and new and how they tie together.
    Thank you for joining in again and for sharing both the images and the memories x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sweet. My washing is always hung haphazardly ALL over the place and I had a little helper with me who was in charge of pegging the socks on the mini line. Perhaps in time, he will remember these moments fondly as you have. have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful roses - the depth of colour is really quite something xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this is such a gorgeous post. I love the pictures of your grandparents. Those Roses are amazing, the red one looks like it's made of velvet and the pink is just a big wow of colour, beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last photo is so beautiful, your Nan and Grandad looked very happy together. Love the pink geraniums against the blue bench too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your garden bench and the memories of your nan. Lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading your old memories. Your comment about the fagg butt hanging precariously from her bottom lip made me smile, now on earth did she do that?! I love your bench it looks like the perfect spot for a morning cuppa x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is true that flowers remind us of people. I associate chrysanths with my husband's grandad, delphiniums with my father, roses with my step father-in-law and rockery plants with my mum.
    Nice memories to be found in a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post as usual, I am a bit (lot) anal about the washing all being straight. Love old photos x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pictures and a lovely post x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was such a lovely, touching story - I love how you entwine your garden with your family history - they are one and the same. And I love the colour of that bench! X.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...