Thursday, 18 July 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow - Lovely Lavatera


The Lavatera stands proudly in the garden, her hot pink blooms make me smile as I recall the first garden that I ever planted one of her varieties. It was 1993 and we had just moved away from the hard concrete streets of East London and into a  town in mid Essex. A better life for our two boys, away from the big smoke and noisy streets of E6. I craved open green spaces for them to run free, somewhere safe with a nice garden.


We found our safe haven in Essex and after spending our first night sleeping on our king sized mattress that had been hastily dumped on the floor, I find myself surrounded by brown boxes that have 'Bedroom' scrufferly scrawled across the front with black marker pen. The bare window is open and sounds of bird's singing emulate from the tree's that line the street of yellow brick, 1960's semi's. I feel like I'm on holiday and I lay there for a moment, enjoying my new found tranquillity. Blissfully, I listen and I hear no car alarms, police sirens or music pumping from the speakers of a car stereo. Just birdsong. Peaceful birdsong. I become suddenly, very aware of my surroundings and I feel baffled that I had never noticed the lack of birds singing in London before.


Eagerly, I jump out of bed, excited to spend the first day in our new home. The smell of bacon, coffee and pancakes fill my senses, and entice me down the stairs and into a bright yellow kitchen. A twenty two year old Papa Syder is busily frying our breakfast, the crunchy sizzle urges me to lean over his shoulder and inhale the mouth watering aroma of crispy bacon. He turns to me, places a tender kiss on my forehead and asks "Coffee?". As if he even needed to ask. 



Making Plans For our new garden (1993)
I take my red cup and head for the wide open back door. A gentle breeze cools the hot kitchen and I grin as I can hear our children playing on their red & yellow 'little Tykes' car. I sit down on the back step and survey the garden, admiring the pear tree that dominates the lawn. I get up and walk over to it, and put my hand on the trunk.

The tree offers a welcome shade from the morning sun and I know it will be perfect to hold a swing for my two blonde haired boys. I begin to make plans for our new garden, A garden that will be filled with Lavatera and many memories to come.





Mammasaurus - How Does Your Garden Grow?

14 comments:

  1. *Sigh* The way you write just makes me feel that I am there with you. Sounds like the pace of life is just perfect where you are now with the pretty lavatera.
    I'm off to make a coffee and head out to my own garden for a bit having read this x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Both the words and the pictures! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! It's so nice to have meaning behind your plants

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story was so wonderful i almost forgot to look at those lovely flowers your a brillent writer i was sucked in

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto what Annie said about being with you. I just got a huge sense of deja vu too although that might be because we moved to Surrey after 20 years in South London (not all of it together granted!). Wonderful words and photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally absorbing story - I felt like I was there with you. I also now really want lavatera in my garden. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow, so stunning. Adore the colour too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely. sounds like you found a little haven for you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh isn't that Lavatera just gorgeous. There is nothing quite like sipping a cup of coffee listening to the birds. You are in your little piece of paradise x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful flowers and words! ( we must have been in the same year at school? I was 22 in 1993 too!). When I recently moved from London, the first thing I really noticed was the bird song too!. X.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post. I love it. Listening to birdsong is so relaxing - I have found myself doing it more and more over the years. It's so calming. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What lovely photos. Makes me homesick for an English country garden.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...