Thursday, 20 June 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow



Droplets of rain gently fall from the moody, grey clouds above me. I'm not at all surprised, as I stand in the middle of my garden wearing my tired old walking boots, one foot on my fork. It is weather I have come to expect during our typical British summertime. If I'm lucky I might get a burst of sunshine that will explode in between downpours, and then I will be treated to a rainbow of colour that promises me brighter days ahead.



The rain doesn't spoil my mood as I continue to work in my garden, taking shelter briefly behind the glass doors of my cosy summerhouse. I feel like I could sit there for the rest of the afternoon, quietly watching the glistening liquid drops rippling into the abandoned paddling pool. The ripples mesmerise me and I feel myself relaxing to the sound of a wood pigeon. I'm guessing the gentle coo belongs to one of the many birds that nest inside my huge Eucalyptus tree that dominates the bottom of my garden.

The woodland part of my garden always seems to look better when it has rained, the colours are more vibrant. Deep reds, greens and browns invite me in. I take a deep breath and inhale the woody, earthy aroma that fills my senses and provides me with a natural calm. Nature's fragrance at it's best. I wish I could bottle it.

I wander back up the garden and admire my many geraniums. They are one of my favourites, just like they were for Grandad. I picture him, standing in his garden, hands in his trouser pockets, thick black hair, rosy cheeks and a beaming smile. My Grandad certainly loved his geraniums, their scent makes me think of him and he is the reason I have so many in my garden.




I miss Grandad and his strong Southern Irish accent, his brogue so raw it was sometimes difficult to understand. I would sit and nod at parts of his conversation that I couldn't translate. I loved the rhythms of his voice, he sounded almost musical as he spoke of his youth growing up on the family farm and his many tales of nature from his beloved homeland. I would look into his warm, gentle face and feel so loved by him. I was so in awe of him. My lovely Irish Grandad who loved every one of his many Grandchildren in equal measures.

Grandad






Mammasaurus - How Does Your Garden Grow?

25 comments:

  1. The rain does let everything look more moody and beautiful and it can be relaxing. A beautiful ode to grandad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sabrina, I love summer rain, it can be very relaxing x

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, just beautiful - I love geraniums too. Mainly because they are hardy and even I cannot seem to kill them, not that I am trying to of course...
    I love the way you write, it makes me feel like I am there with you. All your photos are gorgeous - that top one I love especially.

    Gooness know what the weathers up to but you can count on one thing at some point this week - a lot of rain!

    Thanks for joining in again, always lovely to see your garden. Are you going to BMums tomorrow by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, No, I'm not going wish I was now though. I'm going away for a birthday celebration, but I'll still be on Twitter over the wkend. Have fun x

      Delete
  3. There is nothing like a garden to lift your mood. I know what you mean about your grandad. I remember certain people from years ago and associate them with the flowers they loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its funny because you dont realise as a child how important certain flowers will become to you as an adult. I hope my Granddaughter will one day associate certain plants with me x

      Delete
  4. Your hanging basket looks very nice. Love the picture of the droplet of rain that must of been hard to get so perfect what a great shot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, that shot took a few tries x

      Delete
  5. The garden looks beautiful after the rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything looks so bright after a drop of rain doesn't it x

      Delete
  6. That is why everything is green and fresh! Love the new banner, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, Yes, the rain does freshen everything up. Great for photos x

      Delete
  7. Your hanging basket is blooming lovely! I love the woodlands after rain, especially when camping. Lush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie, Yes woodland rain is gorgeous isnt it. I love camping x

      Delete
  8. Beautiful pictures, the rain drop is fabulous. Your Geraniums are fabulous and I bet your granddad would love them too xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful post - it almost felt like I was wandering round your garden with you. Gorgeous photos too, loving your summer house :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have the same colour shed - so cheerful. Know what you mean about the beautiful southern Irish accent, have a friend with one. Blog looks good...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your garden, especially the summer house :)
    I have to say how much I love your writing. While reading your post I felt like I was standing right there with you, feeling the rain on my face and smelling the wonderful woodland xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could smell that smell as I read your words. Your summer house is just beautiful, as are those geraniums

    ReplyDelete
  13. you write so beautifully! Love your garden house, just perfect x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post and I got dewy-eyed reading it towards the end. We've shared before haven't we, how the smell of tomato plants remind us of our dear Grandads, and like you geraniums remind me too of him. You always paint such an atmospheric picture with words, and your photos just add that extra dimension. A beautiful post xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have garden-envy! Yours! I just love your garden and the way you write about it. This is why you won your award! XXX

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...