Monday, 10 June 2013

Bertha The Retro Caravan



After writing about Bertha, the retro caravan last week, lots of people were keen to see her interior.  She is a work in progress and she is being made over on a budget. So here she is, Bertha the retro caravan, Come on in.


A few years back a friend of ours asked if we had spotted, the old retro caravan that was up for sale on a neighbours front drive. I hadn't spotted it, but I ran down the road panicking that I might be too late, and that it would be sold before I reached the address. My eyes nearly popped out of my head as I approached the property, as there she stood all alone and idle on an overgrown garden. Placed upon the front window was a sticker that simply read "£50 ono!" 



I squealed with delight as I felt my heart pounding hard. I knocked on the front door of the house and asked if I could take a look inside the caravan. To be honest I had already fallen in love with it, and I knew I was going to buy it, but I was eager to see what condition she was in.

As I stepped inside I was transported back to the early 1970's. Everything was brown and original from the shag pile carpet to the chocolate brown polyester curtains. I was amazed at how immaculate everything was, especially for it's age. The cooker looked like it had never been used and the tiny bathroom appeared to be gleaming.

I knew I wanted to brighten the interior up and I had dozens of ideas running around inside my head. I quickly parted with my cash and brought Bertha home.





We started by painting the walls pastel colours and I ordered some red & white polka dot fabric to make some cute curtains. My Friend recently, sent me some Cath Kidston curtains and bedding which I knew would be perfect for Bertha.


I covered the brown velvet seat cushions with some red & white fabric that I had in my sewing basket and Papa painted the brown melamine cupboards white. They took a few coats and we used a paint that is specifically for melamine.




I'm delighted to show you Bertha's bathroom as it has the original groovy wallpaper, that I totally adore. It is in perfect condition and the small sink looks like new. So fab. It even has the original vanity curtain.


We haven't finished our work on Bertha and I still have lots of ideas for her like new flooring and accessories. Papa has been painting her exterior, which I can't wait to see finished.


Every time I walk into a charity shop, I scan for items that I think would look great inside my lovely little retro caravan. Bertha is our answer to an extra room on a budget and she is well used by the whole Family. £50 very well spent.

So watch this space for more updates and come back soon to see how much Bertha changes as we continue to lovingly restore her.







28 comments:

  1. I cannot believe it was only £50!!!! She's gorgeous and I really love the look of the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie. I love the bathroom too x

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful and lovely - it is my dream to do something similar one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just gorgeous!

    I love all things retro x

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg...i lover bertha!! high five on the gorgeous make over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my - that is just divine - well done! I love the idea of a spare room on a budget! Is she road worthy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, Bertha isn't quite ready for the road yet, but we are working on her x

      Delete
  6. I am SO in love with your Bertha... *sigh*
    You have done an amazing job. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, she is just lovely. You have done a great job

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of a vintage caravan but only if it was pitched up permanently in my garden as a refuge to take tea and craft in away from little 'helping' hands, I'm not a fan of dragging them hither and thither. You've turned a £50 bargain into a thing of beauty! It's gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris, She really is a fab as an extra room x

      Delete
  9. OMG I am SO SO jealous! After spending some time over half term in an Airstream, I'm working on the old man to let us buy our own van. We'd never afford one of those, but to be honest one like yours is exactly what I'd love. It looks amazing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I would love an airstream! So gorgeous! x

      Delete
  10. Bertha is indeed a very special caravan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't even have anywhere to put Bertha but I want her! Your makeover so far looks great. Excited to see your continued progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just brilliant! I love Bertha! You are so creative - I just love the make-over, and those curtains are just fabulous. Thank you for satisfying my curiosity with your lovely caravan. XXX.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely love the story behind the purchase of Bertha -£50.. amazing! I stumbled across your blog by accident as we purchased, just this week, our very first caravan as my husband has just finished a long 27 years in the forces and we have in fact the exact same caravan and have called her Bertha (hence how I found your blog, whilst seeing how popular the name might be..)and plan to transform her in to our very own 'shabby chic retreat'!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Great minds obviously think alike, lol! Would love to know how you get along with your Bertha. Please keep me posted :-)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...