Monday, 6 May 2013

Thrifty Garden - Build A Vertical Vegetable Garden



I'm lucky enough to have a decent sized garden, it's not huge but there is plenty of room for me to keep hens, grow veggies, have a tyre swing, a camp fire, a tree house and a cute summer house. We have utilised the space well and I grow quite a lot of food in my raised vegetable beds, However, I'd like to grow more food this year, so we decided to build a vertical plant stand to save space. I have grown loads in pots and bags like, carrots, parsnips, rocket, lettuce, onions, kale, cabbage, tomato's and potato's.



Papa Syder builds a lot using scrap wood, especially pallet wood. We have built all sorts, from tree houses to picket fencing and plant pots to log storage & hen houses. The wood is robust and stands the test of time, so we gathered up the scraps we had at the bottom of the garden and along with my Brother, got to work.

When it was finished I gave it a coat of fence paint and ordered some plastic pots from Wilkinsons that were only £1 each. I filled each pot with compost and planted some seeds. We are growing potatoes (in bags), onions, carrots (orange & purple), parsnips, two different types of lettuce, cucumber, tomato's and some yummy rocket. I will add to the collection but this is what I have seeded for now in my plant stand and raised beds.

I can't wait to see how I get along with growing vegetables vertically, hopefully I will reap a good harvest.




7 comments:

  1. Oh I like that, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant idea! Love the red pots too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! And the cheerful pots really make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really, really cool, and such a great use of space. X.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you get a good harvest. Sounds like you have a huge garden to me :) So much going on sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...