Thursday, 30 May 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow



I stand at my kitchen window with my hands in  a sink full of bubbly hot water and used dinner plates. I watch the droplets of rain slide down the window and I long to get outside to tend to my garden. My hot, soapy hands yearn to be plunged deep into the rich, damp soil of my vegetable patch and flower pots. 


Days pass, and the rain continues to pour. Sunday morning arrives and I turn my attention to my study books as I bury my head underneath a pile of psychological material. I attempt to write the last essay of the year, but the sun begins to shine and I feel panic because I can't be outside. I'm now distracted and I pray that the sun continues to shine way after I finish my work.


My positive thinking clearly worked, as early Monday morning my sleep is pleasantly interrupted by a chorus of cheery birdsong and as I rub my eyes I can see a bright light penetrating my purple bedroom curtains. I fling open the shiny fabric that is obstructing the morning sun and a golden ray of sunshine suddenly beams in through the glass of the window. I jump up, quickly getting showered and dressed, my mind races with plans to spend the day cooking alfresco.


I make my way out into the garden cupping a fresh coffee and I'm pleasantly surprised to find that Papa Syder is already outside surveying the kids pool. I'm confused at what time he must have got up. Did I oversleep? I thought it was much earlier, I rarely ever sleep in. My confusion deepens, then I suddenly remember that I was still working on my essay until 2 am, so my extra hour in bed is therefore, fully justified.

Papa smiles as he suggests a trip to Tesco for sunny weather supplies. My heart sinks as I know everyone in town will be there. I'm not keen on the idea of being sent on a quest for burgers or for fighting frantic shoppers for the last packet of finger buns on the supermarket shelf. I kick myself for not being more prepared.


 


The shopping trip was not as bad as I initially expected and I arrive home heavily laden with supplies for an impromptu garden gathering. Papa has already fired up the bbq coals, eager to get started. The children are aimlessly floating across the top the giant blue paddling pool, Enid Blyton accompanying them on their journey as they are taken on an adventure that they will never forget.

I softly smile, feeling content as I watch the Family peacefully enjoy my garden. A quote by Mark Twain comes to mind “Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.” 



 

I am happy with the space that I have created, it serves its purpose well, however my imagination is always thinking up new creative projects to improve it, even further. I guess a gardener's job is never complete.

As the sunlight dims and dusk falls, the garden changes its  function as it transforms itself into a campsite. Tired campers drift off the sleep effortlessly to the sound of the cuckoo calling.
What a perfect way to spend a summer bank holiday.








Mammasaurus - How Does Your Garden Grow?


14 comments:

  1. Tee hee the kids in their boat AND paddling pool - I like their style!! Glad you had a great bank holiday and well done on the essay. Just handed in my end of module assessment and what sweet liberation is that..... I want a burger now you've mentioned BBQs too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful bank holiday you had that looks like the ultimate staycation

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely day! We must make the most of the sunshine - it has gone away again :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, what a great bank holiday, I like the spontaneity. And I like your kid's pool style. It has made me think that the birthing pool up in the loft may have a new life (Why not aye?) This weekend is meant to herald a break in the rain too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. all that rain has made your garden nice and greeeeeen! i'm glad the sun came out for you and that you had time to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the way that each week you've come at this linky from different angles with such beautiful writing. I always feel more calm after reading your blog, I hope that doesn't sound really odd.

    As a child I remember sitting in the garden, within reaching distance of the raspberry bushes reading Enid Blyton, The Faraway Tree it was, with MoonFace and the slippery slip. I must dig that book out to start to read to Kitty at bedtimes.

    Looks like a wonderful Bank Holiday for you, thank you for joining in again and sharing your lovely colourful garden x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when a plan comes together, what great sunny shots. Fab photos too - looks like you had a superb day. We went to the Surrey County Show on Monday, I got frazzled!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a perfect bank holiday, so glad the sun came out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that was lovely to read, hope the last essay got polished off nicely, time to relax I hope. BH here is always chocka with tourists so we tend to go the opposite way, we can see the beach any day! Love the raft in the pool! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the boat in the pool- that is just fab! Sounds like a lovely weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That pool is very impressive! My girls keep moaning at me, asking why I want flowers in the garden because if I didn't they'd have room for a huge pool and a trampoline!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow what a wonderful pool! I can so relate to that panic of wanting to be outside but feeling trapped inside. Sometimes you just need to immerse yourself in nature. A lovely post, and so glad your bank holiday weekend was a success xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the garden in the rain though, so lush but yes after days of it I get a bit fed up. Would love your pool.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely, lovely, lovely post. Looks like you all had such a lovely day... shame it totally poured it down for most of last week, but at least the weather is perking up again now. That paddling pool rocks! X.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...