Thursday, 23 May 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow


I step outside my back door and into my garden. Blue skies lift my spirits after watching the lunch time news. I promise myself I wont watch it again as I shed a tear for a brave fallen soldier. My damp eyes are drawn to the lonely tyre swing that is hanging from the muscular branches of an old Eucalyptus tree. I gaze upwards. The sun glistens through the leaves and warms my face. I feel this old tree comforting me, as his huge presence leans over me with a wise, knowing face.


I potter about with my old wooden trug, weeding as I go. I check on my seedlings that have suddenly started to poke their heads up through the soil. As I lovingly run my fingers over each one, I notice that I have lost a few to slugs but I'm happy to share.


I love that the weather feels warm enough to be outside. I glance up to the sky once more and spot, grey fluffy clouds forming, as they patiently wait to deliver refreshment to my garden. I feel droplets of ice cold water falling heavy onto my face. I hurry to gather up my washing that has been enjoying the freedom of drying in the fresh air. 


I slam my back door shut and shiver as a chilly cold touches the back of my neck. I fold my washing and watch the rain fall from the window at my kitchen sink. I open my flask of hot tea and sip the warm contents as I gaze at my wet garden. Ten minutes later the rain stops and I return to my pottering, an activity that soothes my soul as I quietly reflect.



Mammasaurus - How Does Your Garden Grow?



23 comments:

  1. As usual, your pictures are magical. Thanks to your side links I am now following you on Insagram, which means I can envy your garden in more than one place xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna, following you back, I love Instagram x

      Delete
  2. Really beautiful words for a difficult time. Such lovely pictures. I love the tree swing photo and it "goes well" with the words you have written, I don't know strength in the rope and tenderness in the sky and the warmth of the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your swing photo. Gorgeous photos and beautiful words. My big old Eucalyptus has to come down. It got hit hard last winter and didn't recover properly, the bark has now peeled and the trunk is white, but there is not a single leaf left on it :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. little peeks. i would like to see more. lovely green and lovely words

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah........ like a little meditation coming here and reading your lovely words accommpanied by such beautiful imagery. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh lovely write up this week its like poetry. Your seedlings look really healthy

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's nothing quite like pottering in the garden to make the world feel like a better place. I love your tree photo - it looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The words and photographs are just beautiful. I love how relaxed you are about the slugs too - sign of a happy soul. Being outdoors can be like meditation on it's own can't it?

    Thank you for joining in again - I'm just loving your posts m'lady x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Thankyou. I love this linky, really enjoying peeking into everyones gardens x

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous photos Mama S! When you have a second, can you come and do my garden please?? Congrats fellow finalist by the way, can't wait to meet you! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a gorgeous post - words and pictures. I felt so calm after reading that - I suspect that's the effect you have on others in general. As above, I am really looking forward to meeting you at Britmums. X (so glad to have found your blog this year).

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a lovely calming post. I adore your Eucalyptus - we tried growing one but it just didn't take sadly. I am going to try again. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous photos- I love the one of the leaf with water. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing words, I do love your blog posts x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...