Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Dressing Kids In The Same Clothes

My eldest child has just turned 23 and I'm struggling to get my head around how fast the years have flown by. Papa and I were 19 when he was born and by the time we were 20, we had two little boys. Our 2nd child is 22 in a couple of weeks. 



As there are only thirteen months between them people often thought they were twins, because they looked so alike with their blonde, fluffy hair and green eyes, plus, I always dressed them the same. I can see you frowning now, and screaming at your laptop screens 'Why dress them they same, they are unique and individual!' I know, I know I've heard it many times before. It would have been much easier to dress them differently from one another, but they wouldn't let me. They wanted the same. If I bought one a new T-shirt, the other would want one too, and it would have to be the same or there would be big trouble in The Syder house. Even things like gloves had to be the same. Sometimes I would get away with buying different colours but essentially items had to look very similar. 
 
This lasted up until they were about ten, when they started supporting different football teams so obviously they wanted to wear their team shirts. Their taste in football boots and trainers started to change too as they were becoming more independent.


We laugh about it now, as they have grown up to be very different. They still look alike and have similar taste in fashion but their personalities are quite individual. They wouldn't dream of wearing the same item of clothing these days.

What do you think about dressing kids the same? Is it something you have done or do you cringe every time you see kids dressed in the same clothes?


11 comments:

  1. My two youngest boys were 19 months apart, and I had to buy the same clothes for them, as, just like yours, whatever one had the other wanted exactly the same, not even a different colour. They are both gingers and were often mistaken for twins, a year apart at school and most of the teachers got them muddled too (good job they were both fairly well behaved!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teachers used to get my Boys muddled too, and what made it worse was there were a set of twins in my eldest's year at school who looked very similar to my two and they were really naughty and teachers would mistake my boys for them, it was a bit frustrating x

      Delete
  2. My girls are 2 years apart and until recently they always wanted the same clothes. Now Kaycee always choose smart, conservative dark coloured clothes and Ella chooses bright clothes, usually pink and if she could get away with it, she'd wear sparkly party dresses every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People used to tell me that dressing them the same would spoil their individuality, but it doesn't does it. They soon find their own style x

      Delete
  3. A delightful story thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oddly enough, I was having a conversation about this just an hour ago; I visited a friend who is recuperating after an operation and the daughters of a neighbour called to see her. Two of them are twins but look very different; on is taller with red hair and the other is blonde. I think they are about 9 or 10 years old. They had just come out of school so were in uniform, but said they like to dress differently; they like different things; one will wear a dress and the others won't. I told them that when we were younger, parents would dress twins and sometimes sisters alike. They didn't think much of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's massively uncool but I like dressing my boys in complimentary clothes for special occasions. Perhaps not the same but colours that match etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister and I used to match sometimes, but in different colours so my younger sis didn't have to wear to the same outfit for years . . . . !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love dressing them the same! There is 28 months between my boys, but because my younger son is big for his age people used to think they were twins too! I often bought them the same and they usually dressed the same for special occasions. We don't do it now they're 9 and 11 as they have different tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so cute. I dress my two boys the same as they always want the same stuff. As they are getting a little older its bit quite the same but I think it's lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have two little girls, the youngest being 12 weeks and the oldest being 28 months and I never thought I would dress the same but I love it! Although I never dress them in exactly the same outfit, I match colours and patterns. And I don't do it every day but when we go out- we are off on holiday next week and I have a few semi matching things to take for them!

    Nice to find your blog.

    Katie

    www.mummydaddyandmemakesthree.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...