Thursday, 11 April 2013

My New Kitchen On A Budget



Downshifting our lives also meant downsizing our home and these days, instead of having the large kitchen - diner that I once had, I now have quite a small space. It took a bit of getting used to, but because my quality of life has become so much better, I soon accepted having a smaller kitchen. However, I have struggled to accept the old blue units & marble effect work tops that are in my smaller kitchen and after nearly 4 years I finally have a shiny new one. 


We saved up and I set a budget of a £1000,  but we ended up spending closer to £1,200 which includes a new oven. We shopped around for weeks before we parted with our cash, and decided on an Ikea kitchen, because we got more for our money and I liked their worktops better than the other stores we had looked at.



The kitchen now fits my needs perfectly. The first thing I wanted to do away with, was the wall units because I'm short, only 5ft 2in and I struggled to reach and find stuff that was hidden away in the backs of my high mounted wall units. So, I now have everything on display on shelves and I can reach whatever I need without calling for help from a tall Husband, Yay!


I chose plain white units because of the small space, as I knew it would make the kitchen appear larger. To keep in with the retro theme of my house I picked handles (Ikea Blankett) that reminded me of handles that my Mum had back in the 1970's. I wanted my kitchen to be modern but retro at the same time.


The mess was a nightmare. Dust everywhere. My lounge was almost ceiling high full of boxes, filled with all my kitchen equipment. But I was excited, as everyday I watched my Hubby making progress.



I really like dark walnut worktops and I like Ikea's because they are more square than the regular rounded on the edges which gives more of a retro look to them. I wanted to keep my small vintage style cup shelf, where I like to keep my tea, coffee & sugar jars, my teapot & soup bowls. A very lovely old Friend of mine sent me some gorgeous London fridge magnets that I now have covering my boiler, I love them!


I wanted my kitchen to be sunny so we painted the walls yellow, which goes lovely with the walnut worktops. I bought a larder cupboard that I was planning on using as a pantry but I had ordered the cleaning cupboard instead and now I have filled it with my ironing board, broom, cleaning stuff etc, I'm glad that I made the mistake.



I really wanted pull out drawer waste bins. They are fantastic for hiding away the rubbish and for separating my recycling. I also ordered some basket drawers that pull out for all my tins. I usually have a wash basket permanently stuck in the middle of my kitchen, as Hubby & the kids fill it daily. It drives me mad and I'm forever moving it out of my way, so I picked up two Ikea wash baskets that fit perfectly into a 50cm base unit. These little extras just make the kitchen so much easier to use.


Another thing I really like is having rails with baskets and pots hanging all around my splashback. My herbs & spices are really easy to find now, and are close to hand while I'm cooking. I no longer need to climb up on my worktop to rummage for my spices. The whole kitchen has been fitted to our lifestyle and I love everything about it. I think we did pretty well with the budget we had.



Fitting the kitchen ourselves was a lot cheaper than paying someone to do it. I'm lucky that Hubby is good at DIY, and that he was happy to take on the job, however as he isn't a professional kitchen fitter it did take a little longer (2 weeks rather than 1), but with the amount of money we saved it was well worth the extra week. We did run into problems with a second hand oven that we purchased, which stopped working after 2 days so we ended up buying a brand new oven, which is why our budget was stretched an extra £200.


Now I have a fresh new kitchen that is well organised and works perfectly for my Family and Hubby cooks a mean Sunday roast in it!



14 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks great! I love the funky hanging mugs and the campervan collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks absolutely brilliant, Emma, well done both of you x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowee Emma! Its GORGEOUS! Those red and white spot appliances are to die for! The whole place looks super! Well done you guys.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely kitchen! I do like the open shelving! And having everything to hand will make all your culinary activities much more efficient! Enjoy - your family won't see much of you now as I am sure you will spend so much time in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a phenomenal job you have done. I love the yellow and cannot believe that you did so much with such a small budget. The kitchen looks much bigger than before and I am very envious of it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. After renting for my whole life I would absolutely love to re-do a kitchen so I have been living vicariously through yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must admit I love IKEA kitchens and you've both done a tremendous job there! Next year we knock our kitchen down and extend and re-do it and I'm literally counting down the days already!

    I'm not going to be having upper cupboards either - I just think that bottom ones only give the feeling of more space! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new kitchen looks absolutely fab! I could see the smile on your face reading the post. :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - I am so impressed (and all for £1,200). It looks wonderful - love the colours, the units - and that dark walnut colour on the floor and unit tops. I am only 5ft 3" myself! X.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your new kitchen! What a great job and well worth the effort and wait. Enjoy it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great, you did a wonderful job :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the make over. You cant beat ikea for kitchens imho. Before we moved down this way we had to update our kitchen for selling and chose ikea. OH did it all by himself and to be honest I think it nearly broke him!!! I also chose white because I think it just makes the room look so fresh and the kitchen was also small. I love your open shelves. Where we now are we are having problems with condensation so are having to take out the wall cupboards and will be doing similar. And I love your dotty kettle and toaster! Very cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Big well done, it looks fabulous. You are a clever lady. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow what a difference! We've keep looking at Ikea kitchens because they're supposed to be designed to fit yourself - a great way to save tons of money! x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...