Monday, 22 April 2013

A Year In The Life Of A Raised Vegetable Bed

It feels like it has been such a long winter and I've been so eager to get outside and plant my seed potatoes. The past week has felt so much warmer, so I have been busy in the garden preparing my raised beds for this seasons crops.


My raised beds were really overgrown, but after a bit of digging over and some help from the hens, they were ready for seeding. Getting out in the garden always raises my spirits, and the muddier I get the better I feel. Apparently mud under your finger nails stimulate our skin receptors, causing a release of serotonin to the brain, which acts as a natural anti-depressant. So, gardening really is, very therapeutic.


I had left a bag of potatoes growing over the winter period and as I emptied the bag, I harvested some delicious fresh spuds. The satisfaction you get from growing your own food is immense. This is a year in the life of a raised bed.


April


May


June



July


August


Did you have a good harvest last year? Have you started your seeding yet?

11 comments:

  1. I also let the hens turn over my veggie patch.

    I'm a bit late in planting this year, because of the weather. But my early potatoes went in the ground at Easter and a neighbour has shared a dozen cabbage seedlings with me. The veggie patch has lovely compost forked into it, so I'm gearing up.

    My best crop is always runner beans :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lesley, The bad weather has dragged this year hasn't it, its great that things have brightened up and we can get planting x

      Delete
  2. Just found your blog via netmums and had to come and say I am so jealous! Have recently moved from Midlands to Wales but am in temporary accommodation until house sells in the Midlands. Its not possible to do any gardening here and I'm so longing to get out there and starting and then our chickens were taken by a fox with the last lot of snow (my Dad had been chicken sitting) the lovely fox had headbutted the chicken wire and ripped a hole in nit and took all 7 in the middle of the day.

    Anyway, long ramble to say wish I was outside planting with my little hens running around. When we finally sell I'm off to find the most beautiful chickens ever. Nothing beats your own fresh eggs and the cost on my purse is horrendous and they just taste blah.

    Lets hope this sun continues. Have a great days x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candace, Thanks for visiting. Sorry to hear that you cant garden yet, it must be frustrating for you. How about growing in some bags? x

      Delete
  3. I've dug my allotment over, although sadly haven't managed to build any raised beds yet. I have potatoes ready to go in, probably on Wed eve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has held a lot of us up hasn't it Char. Its been driving me crazy that I haven't been able toplant anything until now x

      Delete
  4. LOVE these photos and I'm like you have prepared the beds for this year, have a few seeds starting but need to get my finger out to do some more. It's been so cold!

    I have one raised bed and last year planted brussel sprouts which completely overtook the plot - this year I will not be planting brussels as a result ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Well Done on your Brussels Mari! My Hubby would have loved that! They are a veg that I havent attempted to grow yet, might give them a go this year x

      Delete
  5. Great photos Mama Syder.
    I given potatoes a miss for a few years due to blight but I may get going again next year.
    Last years crops were pretty pathetic except for the French beans, I kind of did it all half hearted but this year I'm really back into it and will be growing allsorts. I only hope I can get this darned Celeriac to germinate.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, Celeriac is something I've never grown, another veg to add to my list for this year! x

      Delete
  6. Fabulous photos - I love the hens pecking away in the raised beds. I never realised that about soil and serotonin - guess I'll be doing lots of gardening once we are settled in our new home! X.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...