Wednesday, 13 February 2013

The Gallery - Girls

As some of you know we keep hens. They are rescued hens from battery farms and the poor little loves  are in quite a state when we receive them. They are usually featherless and their legs are so weak that they struggle to walk at first. We give them somewhere nice and comfy to live, nursing them back to healthy happy hens and in return they not only supply us with yummy fresh eggs, but they become our little Friends and they are very entertaining to watch as the play and forage in our garden.


In the warmer months I spend most of my time in the garden. I grow my own veggies and I always have a project on the go out there. From the summer house my radio can be heard playing tunes from the 1940's. I feel transported back in time as I tend to my garden. Life becomes so simple and I can easily spend the day with the hens as they chortle, cluck and ruffle their feathers.


After a few months the rescued hens feathers have grown back and they begin to look all pretty again. Most of these lovely ladies have spent their lives confined to a cage no bigger than an A4 piece if paper. They have never felt grass beneath their feet or sunshine on their feathers. All they have known is a dark, noisy, metal cage.


Hens are lovely to keep as pets. They are great fun to watch, as they are so inquisitive or maybe I could go as far as describing them as nosey. They wander around the garden looking at everything, checking out their surroundings and pecking all they come across as they scratch in the soil for worms.


We love our Girls, we really do


If you are interested in finding out more about rescue hens then pop over and visit The British Hen Welfare Trust

11 comments:

  1. I'd love to have chickens I think! Yours look and sound like they're very part of your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely take on the theme and great photos! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to have chickens too! Love the take on the theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are thinking of pets in the coming months we will keep this in mind! great pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your girls are gorgeous! Lovely photos. I have friends who keep hens, but never considered it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! How lovely are your hens and how lovely are you for giving them a second chance?! I bet your breakfasts are yummy!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos, I know quite a few people with chickens now, they seem to be quite popular bets now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could to agree more! We love our rescue chookies too - they are really characters (but a few more eggs at this time of year would be nice). Love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE that last photo - that's a photo on wall specimen right there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous post and wonderful shots - you are so resourceful, and how lovely for the kids and grand children!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful pics - I'd love chickens xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...