Friday, 1 February 2013

My Weight Loss Journey - Month One


I have always been slim, and only put on weight with my four pregnancies, which I always lost within three months of giving birth. The weight always just fell of me with little effort. However, Since losing my Mum back in 2006, I have piled on the pounds, I mean really piled them on, in fact I have doubled my weight. 

The reason, I think, is a combination of giving up smoking and comfort eating. I start a diet every year, and every year I get as far as losing 8lbs and then stop. The past few years I have had no will power at all and I have struggled to motivate myself. 

I definitely think my problem has been more of an emotional one. Losing Mum knocked me sideways, and I have really struggled to come to terms with it. Last year something changed, I suddenly began to feel stronger and I no longer wanted to burst into tears every time someone spoke about her. I finally felt a bit 'normal' again.

That stronger feeling has stayed with me and on the 1st January 2013, I decided to climb out of this comfort suit that I have been wearing for over six years and get back to my old self. The past four weeks I have calorie counted and exercised every day, without fail. I have lost 14lb and I feel so much more energetic and determined to lose it all.

January 2013 - I hate my double chin, I want it gone!

So what have I been doing this month to lose the weight?

Food: After one week of dieting, I lost 5lb, just by cutting out the junk, then my friend introduced me to 'My Fitness Pal' and I have been using it to track my food & exercise every day. I have been eating between 1000 - 1200 calories per day.

I gave up my Friday night bottle of vino, which was difficult the first weekend, but now I don't miss it at all. I eat porridge every day for breakfast, usually soup & ryvita for lunch and a low fat meal for dinner. I eat fruit and low fat yogurts for my snacks. Every night I have a hot chocolate before bed. I haven't been missing out, as I have been eating usual meals but just low fat versions, even pizza. I don't feel hungry either.

Exercise: I bought a treadmill which I use every day for around 20 minutes. I also use the wii fitness a couple of times a week and lift cans of beans to tone my arms. I'm lucky that I live in a great place for walking, so I go for 30 minute walks too, although I will increase these walks as the weather improves.


Every four weeks I will be blogging about my progress, and posting photos of my results. Hopefully by the end of February I will have lost another stone.

20 comments:

  1. Well done!! Now is obviously the right time for you to get back to the weight you want to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Sally, I do feel that now is the time x

      Delete
  2. Great start Emma, keep up the good work xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, I like yourself was always slim, if I gained 5lb, I would get rid of it not allowing myself to gain any more, I gained alot of weight with 2 pregnancies but lost most of it. When my husband became ill, we had to sell our house (this we have had to do twice more since) we were at the same time fighting a legal battle with his former employers, I spiralled into deep depression gaining an autoimmune into the bargain (underactive thyroid) which does not help the weight and have gained about 5 stone. Your story is inspiring, thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, Emotions really do play a big part in weight gain. Before I lost my Mum I used to lose weight when I was stressed, so comfort eating has been a new thing for me. Sorry to hear that you have an underactive thyroid, that makes weight loss harder doesnt it x

      Delete
  4. Well done, that is amazing! What a great motivation to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After getting on the scales this morning for the first time in months, I have told myself I need to lose weight. Reading your 1st month update has really pushed me. Well done on the weightloss - that's amazing. Our evening meals are always healthy, I just need to change my breakfasts, snacks & throw in some exercise. Good luck for month 2! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, I'm glad the post has inspired you, Thanks for your lovely comment. I look forward to hearing how you get on x

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing this post.. and congratulations on such an awesome start! It sounds like you're taking a really sensible approach to your weightloss and balancing your food and exercise well :) I look forward to hearing about your progress x

    Shushkat

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's brilliant ..... well done you - and maybe it's easier to diet now, and the pounds should drop off given your new emotional strength regarding your mum. Grief always piles on the pounds. And your diet comes across as really sensible and balanced. X. Looking forward to hearing about your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've also been dieting. Have lost the first stone this month and am hoping for another one soon, although have been on a plateau for a while now. Well done for sticking to it, as it does take some commitment doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done, Mama, you have a really sensible attitude towards dieting to lose weight. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's really impressive. Good luck for next month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done, you are doing so well. You've inspired me to try harder x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good on you Emma. I'm following your story with interest. Your story sounds so much like mine. I was always 'normal'. I had an epiphany just recently. I'd only ever put on weight twice before and it dawned on me that I was in a bad relationship, usually had to quit smoking (because of the guy) and eating made me feel good about myself. I've been in a 'bad' relationship for the last 13 years and even though I've been at my biggest since the kids were born, no more comfort eating and no more bad relationships. I'm on your journey with you.

    Best of luck girl. You can do it!

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done you have done and are doing amazing, glad you have taken up running to as you know how much i love it :) looking forward to your posts. Thanks so much for sharing with us at the weekend hop x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree that losing one's Mum has a devastating effect on health, well being and physiology. I had physical illness from the grief (and it lasted almost a year); I wish the GP had thought to tell me. That's partly why I started a grief blog.

    Pleased to read that you are feeling stronger and more positive now, all the best for your weight loss journey.

    BTW, swimming will help you lose your double chin (honestly, it really works) x.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done on your loss so far! :)

    Being in a stronger place will help you keep motivated. It still amazes me how much weight I have lost so far with eating, I am used to such losses on a shake only diet and only wish I had done WW sooner.

    We can do this :) xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...