Homemade toffee is so easy and cheap to make and is perfect for Christmas gifts for Friends, Neighbours, teachers or the lollypop lady. This recipe is really tasty, if you have a sweet tooth you will love it.
- 125g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 60ml water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g plain chocolate, chopped
1. Line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
2. In a pan place the butter, sugar, water and salt. Cook on a medium heat stirring continuously.
3. When the mixture reaches the 'light crack stage' (160 degree's C) and its all bubbly, its ready. If you haven't got a thermometer, then you can tell if the toffee is ready by dropping a tiny amount into a cup of cold water and if it forms a ball it means its ready.
4. Turn off the heat and add the vanilla and pour into your baking tray.
5. While its still warm you could add some chopped nuts, chocolate or anything else you might like to decorate your toffee with.
6. Once cooled, place in the fridge.
Once chilled, take out of the fridge and roughly chop into small pieces. You will need a toffee hammer or rolling pin to bash the toffee. Then wrap a few pieces in greaseproof paper and tie with bakers or parcel string.
Place in a small paper bag (available from ebay) and seal with some tape.
Label and give out as gifts.