Friday, 9 November 2012

Cooking On A Budget - Vegetable Stew

This recipe is so easy. Not only is it super cheap to make but its also really tasty,  filling and warms you up on those long, chilly winter evenings. You can make up your own dumplings, but I buy a packet mix from the supermarket. Its one I've always used and it makes the perfect fluffy dumplings.



Ingredients - Serves 6 - Cost £4.00
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 2 Crushed Garlic Cloves
  • Few Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary, Chopped
  • Half red chili
  • 1 Chopped Onion
  • 3 medium to large Carrots
  • 2 Leeks
  • 2 large or 4 smallish potatoes
  • 1 can of Haricot Beans
  • 1 tablespoon Plain Flour
  • 600mls Vegetable Stock
  • Packet Farmhouse Dumpling Mix
Method
1. Preheat your oven to 160°C/gas mark 3.
2. Fry the onion, garlic and Chili in a large pan with some olive oil.
3. Add the leeks, carrots and potatoes, cook for ten minutes.
4. Stir in the flour.
5. Make up the stock in a jug and gradually add to the saucepan of vegetables. Keep stirring.
6. Add the haricot beans and the chopped rosemary.
7. Bring to the boil and simmer for ten minutes.
8. Empty the saucepan into an oven proof dish and pop in the oven, cook for 30 minutes.
9. Make your dumplings.
10. Add dumplings to your stew and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes.


3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Looks yummy. Very similar to one I make but I add a tin of chopped tomatoes and use less stock. Any kind of beans will do! Never thought to add dumplings though, what a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh a real Winter warmer. And right up my street, since I'm not a vegetarian but very close to it. Don't think I've had dumplings since I lived at home with my parents. Will be giving this a try in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm! Delicious! I shall certainly try this at home! Thankyou for sharing Mama!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...