This recipe is one of my favourites. I love risotto, just a warning though if you have small children to tend to this recipe needs you to keep a constant eye on the pan as you continually stir to avoid the rice sticking to the bottom. Cook it on a day when you have someone there watching the little ones while you cook.
Ingredients - Serves 6 - Cost £7.00
- 2 Boneless chicken breasts diced
- 40g Butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 - 2 chillies
- 1 litre of chicken stock
- 250g broccoli
- 500g risotto rice
1. Melt a third of your butter in a largish pan with the olive oil, add the onion, crushed garlic and chillies. Fry for a few minutes.
2. Add the chicken.
4. Add the stock gradually, stirring constantly, making sure the liquid is all absorbed before adding more. This takes around 30 minutes. The rice starts to look creamy.
5. Add the broccoli into a saucepan of boiling water, for about 2 minutes, drain.
6. Add the broccoli to the risotto mix and add the remaining butter.
7. Serve and add some grated cheese.
This recipe serves more than enough for six people and we had some left in the pan which I froze. When you go to use it after freezing, defrost thoroughly and cook through until piping hot. Enjoy.