Friday, 23 November 2012

Christmas On A Budget - The Table

I love to make sure, that every year our Christmas table looks nice for the family. I get such a thrill from the kids taking their seats and the words "Wow Mum" slipping from their mouths. However, as a penny pinching Mum I also like to do it on a budget.


The Table Cloth - First thing I think is quite important is to invest in a good quality tablecloth. Mine was passed down to me from my Mum, about ten years ago and I use it every Christmas. It has sentimental value to me and gives the table a real personal touch.


Snowman Soup - Every guest gets a snowman soup at Mama's table . This has become a family tradition and the first thing the kids look for. It gets put to one side after dinner and Christmas evening they are all in the kitchen making up their chocolate treat. Instructions for Snowman soup can be found here.



The Crackers - Homemade crackers also give a personal touch to the table. I buy the hats, snappers and jokes from ebay for a couple of pounds. Each cracker is named and a small personal gift is put inside, chosen especially for its recipient. 


A Memento - I also like my Christmas dinner guests to have a small memento. Nothing flash or fancy, just a small reminder of our Christmas. Last Year it was a lucky sixpence and they were really easy and cheap to make. The sixpences come in packs from ebay and are only a couple of pounds for around 12, and I made the little cards from some red card, christmas paper and red bows.


Party Poppers - These always go down well with my guests and give everyone a big smile. A big bag for a couple of pounds is so worth the mess they create.

 
Candles - I like lots of candles at my Christmas table as they give a nice cosy ambiance and as space is often a bit tight I use a couple of big blingy Christmas candles and then I reuse my Glade scented candle holders that I have been using in the weeks leading up to Christmas, by popping in a tea light. They are the perfect size to dot around the table.



Do you have any frugal tips for dressing your Christmas table?

10 comments:

  1. I have found the 'Pound' shops great for picking up things for the table...They do great serving bowls and plates as well :)
    Yours looks a lovely table....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, I keep saying that I'd love some proper Christmas dinner plates x

      Delete
  2. the table looks brilliant, I love the home made Christmas crackers what a great idea...my son loves party poppers lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, My lot love party poppers too. They make such a mess but are soooo much fun x

      Delete
  3. That looks beautiful Emma. What's time's lunch? LOL

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Thanks Anne...Lunch will be around 2pm x

      Delete
  4. Look so lovely, definitely going to try the snowman soup, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou, The snowman soups are great. I give them as neighbour gifts too, everyone loves them x

      Delete
  5. Love your table... It's gorgeous! That cloth is very lovely too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the Snowman Soup idea - I am going to do those this year. How far in advance can you make them up?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...