Friday, 12 October 2012

Hospice Care Week - Thankyou For All You Did For Our Mum


Did you know all this week has been Hospice Care Week? If you have never experienced the care provided by a hospice then you may not have realised. Hospice Care week kicked off on the 8th October 2012 and over 100 hospices across the UK have joined forces with National charity, Help The Hospices to highlight the ways in which hospices provide care, love and support to patients with terminal illnesses.

The theme of the campaign is 'Be surprised, hospice care is for everyone'. Hospices support people from all walks of life, they care for all corners of every community across the UK, whoever they are and whatever their illness.
 
My Mum was one of those people.

When Mum told us she had Cancer she was only 56 years old. Me and my five younger Brothers were all in complete denial and struggled to come to terms with her diagnoses. Mum had told us not to worry "It isn't serious, I just need some radio-therapy". We believed her.

The radio-therapy failed, so chemo was the next step. At this point I started to panic, especially as Mum started to lose her thick, black shiny hair (even in her 50's, Mums hair was still as black as it had always been, hardly any grey). I went with her to her chemotherapy sessions and the Doctor told us that with treatment Mum would live for another two years.

I felt it wasn't real. This was not happening to us. Even as I lovingly held her hair from her face while she was throwing up after treatment, as I wiped the cancer laden sweat from her brow or as I held her hand while she gripped tight, the pain taking hold. I still didn't believe I was about to lose my lovely Mum.


Six months on, I received the dreaded phone call. Mum was in the hospice. My first thought was "What the hell is she doing in a hospice!! People go there to die!" I was in complete shock as I rang the hospital and gave them a good telling off for sending my Mum to a Hospice. I was confused and I couldn't work out why she was there. 

I rushed to the hospice to be with my Mum and to get her out of there as soon as possible. I then discovered Mum only had two weeks left to live. The word devastation doesn't even begin to describe how I felt at that moment. My whole world felt like it was collapsing around me. My poor Mum, how frightened she must have felt.

Over the following fortnight the family practically lived at the hospice. We were there around the clock, never risking Mum being left alone for a moment. The hospice staff were amazing, taking care of Mum as they supported us all individually and as part of a group. We were comforted during our darkest moment by the most wonderful people who's main aim was to make sure our Mum's last days were as comfortable as possible. They were there for us every step of the way.


I personally can not Thank St Helena's Hospice enough for all they have done for our Family. Nothing can ever repay all they did to support our Mum as she slowly slipped away. The staff will be forever in my heart. Thank you x




*Hospice Care Week is  on 13 October, which aims to raise awareness and support across the globe. 
  
This follows the recent launch of ehospice last week, the first global platform for international news and intelligence on hospice, palliative and end of life care, which brings together the expertise and experience of people involved in hospice and palliative care from around the world.
  
Find out more about Hospice Care Week and get involved in the 'I am hospice care' activity at www.besurprised.org.uk.

7 comments:

  1. I am so pleased that you go great end of life care for your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She had such a lovely smile. Hospice staff do such a wonderful job don't they? They have my utmost admiration. Hugs. Emma xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Emma. Yes, Hospice staff are wonderful people, very special indeed xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father-in-law spent his last few weeks in a hospice - and the difference to the understaffed hospital was incredible. It was a lot more peaceful, we knew he was getting the best of care and attention - and we were all less scared at the end.
    You look so like your mum, the dark hair and beautiful smile x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww Thanks Donna, people always tell me I'm like my Mum. Yes, the work the hospices do is amazing, the support offered immense xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post, and a loving tribute to your Mum.

    It is just over a year since I lost my Mum to cancer, aged only 66. She wanted to die at home, so we were supported by a 'hospice at home' programme x.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...