Friday, 19 October 2012

Cooking On A Budget - Sausage Ragout

Feeding a large family on a budget can be tough sometimes, not just because of counting pennies but finding something everyone will eat, all at the same time can prove difficult for some families. I'm lucky I have a husband who is a really good cook and I love his food, his only downfall is he will give the kids a menu, so he usually ends up cooking 3 or 4 different meals for one sitting. Crazy, I know.

When I cook I don't mess about, its one meal only in my restaurant, and do you know what? They all eat it. I get a few groans because I refuse to cook them what they fancy, but they do eat my one meal menu and they enjoy it. I dont have time for fussy eaters.

This recipe is really easy, cheap and perfect for the chilly winter evenings (around  £1 per person for a family of six). It takes just over an hour and is also great, budget grub to share with mates, if you double the ingredients.

You could cook it in a slow cooker if you have one, however I don't so I'll be cooking mine in a regular pan. I've based the recipe on a family of six, if you need quantities for a family of four then drop me a tweet @mamamakes

Ingredients - Serves 6 - Cost £6.00 

(In my grocery shop the cost to buy all of the ingredients for this recipe was £9.64, bear in mind some of the ingredients will be left over for another meal - the amount of ingredients I used for this meal works out at about £6.00)

12 Sausages 
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions finely chopped
3 garlic cloves crushed
Large jar of passata (most supermarkets sell a 680g jar)
400 ml rich beef stock
400g tin of Plum tomato's
1.5 tablespoons of chopped fresh rosemary
3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage 
Salt & Pepper
Pasta

Some chopped chillies for those (like me) who like a bit of a kick to their food (you can add this separately from the kids serving, after you have dished theirs up).

Method

1. Fry the sausages in a  pan until browned, remove from pan and set to one side.

2. In a larger pan heat the oil and fry the onion & garlic until softened.

3. Add the passata.

4. Make up the beef stock in a jug (according to the instructions on the box), then add it to the passata.

5. Add all other ingredients and stir well, bringing to the boil. 

6. Turn down the heat, cover and leave to simmer for about 50 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened.

7. Slice each of the sausages into small pieces and add to the sauce, simmer for a further 10 minutes.

8. Meanwhile, cook some pasta, serve onto separate plates and add the sausage ragout. ( Don't Forget the chillies if you want your spicy kick - so at this point add your chopped chillies to the sauce after you have served up the kids)



This is a big hit in our house and the servings for six are plenty. Grub on a budget, yum!

6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious Mama Syder and I'm loving your new blog look. We'r huge fans of pasta in this house and a sausage ragout would come in very handy indeed

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks FIT. Gooing to try it out next week. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum Yum - my 3 will love this!! One meal in my restaurant too! If they don't like it they can go without! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks good. I cant wait to try it. I dont eat sausages. So it might work out cheaper today. Allie

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...