Monday, 27 August 2012

My Sister in Law, My Best Friend



I first met my Sister in Law, Miss S way back in 1988 when I first engaged to her Brother (my now, hubby). We are the same age, I felt an instant connection with her from the start and we very quickly became firm friends. I remember my Mum noticing our new friendship and one day, she told me that she hoped that I would have the kind of relationship that she had with her own sister in law. They were the best of friends too and she and my Mum would spend lots of time together as me, my Brothers and cousins grew up together. Mum trusted her, confided in her, wept on her shoulder, supported her, helped her, advised her, laughed with her, cried with her and loved her with all her heart. I remember agreeing with her and telling her that I hoped so too.

During the first few years of my marriage I spent a lot of time with Miss S. Papa and I were teenage parents and she was a big part of my eldest two children's early years as she would often help out with the boys with babysitting, going shopping with me and a double buggy, walking teething babies to sleep and generally offering a lot of support. When Miss S became Mrs H we were thrilled for her. Both Papa and I adored her new Hubby and we all got on like a house on fire.


As the years progressed and both our lives became busier and more hectic we slowly drifted apart. It didn't help that she lived 150 miles away so visiting became less and less. It wasn't intentional, we just let life get in the way and didn't take time out for each other anymore.

This year that all changed...
Due to family circumstances and a yearning for a slower pace of life Mr and Mrs H decided to adopt mine and Papa's lifestyle and opt out of city life. Yes, they have moved to the country, wellies an all and the best bit is...only down the road from us. 

We couldn't be more thrilled, especially as relations in my own family are what I can only describes as 'pretty damn c**p'. Mr & Mrs H, plus 2 of their kids have been living in their new country cottage for just over a week now and having them around has been like a breath of fresh air. Papa is overjoyed to have his Sister back in his life and He & his Brother in Law, Mr H are the best of pals. I love to see my Husband so happy and he looks so content. Plus Mr H totally organised Papa's shed for him, I think he is going to be a very good influence on Papa, ha ha!


I have my Best Friend back and I keep having to pinch myself as to whether its real. I'm so happy I could burst.

2 comments:

  1. Great to have family and friend in one package! My sister in law, my husband's brother's wife, lives in the US and we rarely see each other,, but we get on famously when we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a really lovely post. You are very lucky to have such a close friend in the family.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...