Thursday, 5 July 2012

Our Dog Has Passed Away And We Miss Her So Much

Last Thursday at 6.15pm our loopy Boxer Dog, Luna was sadly put to sleep. It was one of the most difficult things that I have ever had to do. It was the right thing to do, the kindest thing to do as she was slowly dying of cancer and had stopped eating, but God...it felt so wrong.



We got Luna back in 2002. Our four kids were then 12, 11, 6 and 2 and they had been nagging me for years to get a dog but I kept putting them off, mainly because I knew that the life expectancy of a dog is quite low and I didn't want us to get attached to someone we would lose. Then a good friend of ours, Boxer was having pups and he asked if we would like to put our name down for one. I immediately said 'No' but when they were born I changed my mind. 


When the pups were a few weeks old we went to see them and we were asked to pick which one we wanted. It was so difficult because all three of them were identical. However, one of them picked us. Luna was bouncing around our feet the entire visit and as we went to leave she tried to follow us out the door. We knew she was meant for us.


The day we took her home the four kids giggled with excitement the whole way home, I was dreading the puppy mess that lay ahead of me. The toilet training, the destruction of furniture, the doggy smell in the house and the eating of shoes and everything else in sight. And yes, Luna did all those things but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and we lived through it.


As Luna grew, she became very protective of our family. We would say she was like a grumpy old woman towards strangers or people that she hadn't seen in a long time, but really her grumbling growls were just letting people know that she was there and looking after us. 


 Visitors to our home would fall in love with Luna and were eager to gain her affection, this wasn't always easy and bribery was often needed, usually in the form of chocolate. But once you had gained her trust, she became a devoted friend.


Luna was our best friend and over the past ten years has been through so much with us all, she travelled on our life changing journey and was a massive part of it.

Luna died in the arms of one of my Brothers, she was happily wagging her tail as she thought we were at the vets to pick her up and bring her home. The pain of losing her has been immense, much more than I ever anticipated. I miss her so much, she drove me mad and was always under my feet but the house feels so empty without her.


I miss her slobbery chops waking me up in the morning, I miss hearing her climbing into bed with our youngest, I miss her begging for chocolate biscuits, I miss her following me around the garden and tripping me up, I miss having to keep a close eye on dinner as I'm dishing up, I miss her charging for the front door every time the postman knocked, I miss her doggy smell, her loud snoring, her wet sneezes and muddy paw prints. 


Luna we all miss everything about you.
You were loved by so many.
Our Hearts are broken.

16 comments:

  1. :(

    That's so sad; you have some good memories of the 10 years you had Luna

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a sad post. I really feel for you, it's so terrible losing a much loved friend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry:-( What a beautiful girl she was. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your loss. It's always hard to lose a pet as they become your child, one of the family and whoever just says get over it it's only a dog, has obviously never had a devoted, part of the family, dog! We lost my best friend 3yrs ago and I STILL miss her! Your post was a lovely and fitting tribute to your best friend and companion and she sounds like she a loving and friendly pet. RIP Luna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mama! (I'm crying for your loss.) If there's anything I love more in the world its a dog. I have 2 of my own and they're 11 and 9 so I know they're days are coming to an end. It makes me so sad. They are like members of the family. I'm truly, truly sorry for your loss and as I know from pets I've lost in the past, the sadness does go away eventually in time but the memories will be there forever.

    Much love,
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww I am so sorry, she was really beautiful xxx all my love Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you. It is so hard to lose a loved pet, they are so much part of the family

    ReplyDelete
  8. :( This is such a sad post, it brought tears to my eyes. I hate news of pets dying, I wish there was some way to make them live longer! Luna sounded like such a lovely dog! A real personality! I know what you are going through and am dreading going through it again with our cat but the memories and pictures live on forever and are never forgotten. Luna is at peace in doggy heaven now. Much love to you and your loved ones. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Big hug lovely lady, it's one of the hardest things isn't it?... You can relax in the knowledge that you gave her a really lovely life, and she knew how loved she was up until the last. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no words. I lost my doggie last year in June, and it was very hard. She also succumbed to cancer. Here's something that helped me at the time:

    Untitled by Washington Irving

    There is a sacredness in tears.
    They are not the mark of weakness,
    but of power.
    They speak more eloquently
    than 10,000 tongues.
    They are the messengers
    of overwhelming grief,
    of deep contrition,
    and of unspeakable love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much everyone for your kind comments, I appreciate every single word. And KT your message is beautiful, Thankyou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry, couldn't read the whole thing as my eyes were misting up. I'm so sorry, the loss of a family pet (especially a dog imo) is devastating. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! I am so sorry you have lost Luna. Happy memories of a lovely dog. Gxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry honey. I feel your loss.
    Reading this brought back to me the day we had our cat Titch put down (I'm more of a dog person, but we were living in a flat and had no kids when we first decided to get a pet).
    He was the most beautiful and placid little thing. But his kidneys were failing and he kept getting painful infections.
    My husband spoke to the vet alone, and came out crying. We were both allowed to cuddle and stroke him, keeping him calm and looking into his eyes as he fell asleep.
    When his Grandad died last August, Brodie asked: "Will he be in heaven with Titch?"

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have just seen your post about lovely Luna. I'm showing some Boxer dog love to you at this time.

    We are facing similar with our dear boy x.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh I am so sorry, I didn't see this post until now :( Rest in Peace beautiful Luna, Boxers realy are special doggies. You gave her the most wonderful life and saved her from alot of pain at the end, I hope your pain heals and you can give another doggie the same love and happy home xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...