Thursday, 21 June 2012

Save Money At The Supermarket - Grow Your Own food And Keep Hens




A great way to save money at the supermarket is to grow some food yourself and/or keep a few hens for fresh eggs. 


Anyone can grow their own, you don't have to be an accomplished gardener to be successful at growing vegetables and the satisfaction that growing food for your table brings, is immense. You don't even need a big garden, you can grow veggies in pots & bags on balconies and Ive even seen herbs & veggies being grown in windows.


I gave up my allotment last year because I struggled to find the time to manage such a vast area so I decided to grow my veg this year in raised beds, pots, bags and hanging baskets in my back garden which has proved to be much more manageable.


Potato seeds can be picked up for a couple of quid for around 30 seeds and can easily be grown in bags. You can buy bags specifically designed for growing spuds but old compost bags work just as well.





Potato seeds were planted in the bag in March and by June we have lots of growth.


Hopefully in another few weeks I'll be harvesting delicious fresh spuds.


My Niece seeded my tomato's this year over the Easter holidays. 
 

kids love to get involved with growing food too.


They are doing really well and soon we will be able to pick lots of yummy toms that are full of flavour just as we have in previous years.


So we save money at the supermarket by growing our own food and keeping a few hens.
Why not give a go too.



10 comments:

  1. Lovely photo's! Our back garden is on the smallish side and is all patio slabs with a raised border of random flowers and small conifers and ivy. We haven't had a chance to get green fingered since we bought the house 2 years ago as we've been busy renovating inside! I am planning on widening the borders though as I would love to have more greenery! I have talked to my boyfriend in the past about my hopes to grow some veg and strawberries in pots in the garden when we finally get around to renovating outside!

    Before me and my boyfriend moved in together I've always lived in houses with large back gardens. When my parents were together my dad grew vegetables and we had some large apple trees too! I hated picking up brown rotten apples as a child!

    Now my parents are apart my dad lives in a ground floor flat which has no room for any gardening on account of the shared swimming pool taking up all the room but he does have a very large allotment which he loves! He has two chicken coops with runs big enough for us all to stand inside, 2 sheds and a green house on it as well as vegetable plots - I don't know how he keeps up with it all but he does! He also keeps bee's!

    It's safe to say I probably want to grow some veg of my own because of him! Mum prefers the supermarket haha! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma, you are right, things can be container grown to good effect. I moved here in late April, too late to prepare a veg plot for using this year, so I have carrots, runner beans, dwarf beans, lots of tomatoes and strawbeery plants all in pots and a couple of poatoes (using some shop bought spuds that went "over") in bags like yours - in fact I amy have even got the idea from you. I have cut-and-come-again lettuce, radishes and spring onions in trays in the conservatory, but you could just as easily use window sills, and I have a compost bin to put all veg matter from the kitchen, so I'll have some decent compost ofr next year. It hardly takes any time or effort and will be so worthwhile. I would love to keep chickens, but sadly cleaning them out would set off my coughing - as it used to when I cleaned out the pet rabbits we kept when the boys were young - so thats not an option, but I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for someone local to buy from as fresh free range taste so much nicer. Well done.
    Joy x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. sorry for several typos, forgot to proof read before posting :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are like you and grow what we can in our garden. Noe allowed hens though

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are growing a number of items and have a couple of hens. Best thing we ever did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have fruit trees on our balcony and a windowsill full of herbs. We hope to buy a little house in the country soon to escape London at the weekends and holidays, so will hopefully have some space to grow more then. Henkeeping will have to wait till our retirement, when we will have a beehive as well! Your garden is looking so lovely and productive, and how marvellous to have your little one helping out too; so good for young children to know how their food is grown. Joy sounds like she's been really inventive with her growing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant photos! We are attempting our first veg plot, but it's not going that well. The slugs are doing their best to eat the lot and I am not happy with them... :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true! What a beautiful and thriving garden you have! For potato grow bags, try the bags for life only 9 pence instead of over a pound if you need to buy them. I love our hens, great personalities, and lovely eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is looking really good! We moved house over the winter into a house with a readymade vegetable garden so I've been giving it a go this year and I'm quite proud of how well it's doing. We've started with easy things though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just hunting through your archives as about to embark on chicken keeping! Have the same house as you but not sure about runs as I don"t want to free range (danger from our mad dog) but want to give them space. What kind of run do you have or do you free range? thank you lots x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...