Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Thrifty Garden - Homemade Campfire Tripod

I was given the idea to create a homemade campfire tripod by a fabulous facebook friend Naomi, who inspires me daily. This lovely lady recycles, grows her own fruits & veggies and also homeschools. Naomi has a fantastic facebook page full of wonderful ideas, pop over and take a look here Backyard and Garden farming. Anyway I spotted that she had made one of these camping tripods and I decided to give it a go myself.



All you need is:
3 metal fencing pins - available from ebay
Approx 1 metre of chunky chain
3 or 4 meat hooks
Some bricks or rockery stones

Start by digging a small circle. We dug ours about 6 inches deep but its up to you how deep you would like it. Roughly place your bricks around the circle. This is to help contain your campfire. 
Hook the 3 fencing pins together by sliding the hook ends of the pins together, this takes a bit of fiddling about to get the tripod shape to stand rigid and secure. As you can see from the photo above we secured the pin hooks with a large meat hook. Then add your chain in the middle with a small meat hook on each end. Buy a pot with a lid and handles each side that your hooks will fit hook onto.


Over the weekend we tested it out and instead of using the big pot to cook we got an extra piece of chain (from an old hanging basket) and clipped it on to a griddle (from our BBQ) to cook burgers & sausages.


Using the tripod at home is a great way to teach the kids how to cook on a campfire and I'm sure we will be using it a lot over the coming months.

6 comments:

  1. It looks fab in your garden. What a great idea.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea Mama. It's come at a good time for me. I've been pricing those camp fire pits from the hardware and they're about $80. I thought about having a few nights around the camp fire with the kids, cooking sausages and marshmallows. Something we don't really do enough of downunder here because it's usually not cold enough not do we even think about it. It's been getting cold these last couple of years so I'm going to give this a try. Thanks!

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a bril idea! I keep looking at the dutch cooking pots and outside cooking combi thingy, but wonder at the price and can I justify spending that much? I am sure I can do this. Great blog by the way, I came across it the other day as we are looking to buy a caravan and I was looking for inspiration on how to update it, so hi from a me Rosie and family, home edders in east yorks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Everyone!

    Anne, this is a much cheaper way to do it. i spent a couple of weeks in charity shops looking out for a suitable pot but everything else is super easy to come by xxx

    Hi Rosie, welcome to my blog. Thanks so much for you lovely comment. i really appreciate your visit xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good! Think you would fit in very well over here in the land of the grill! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow its a very good post. The information provided by you is really very good and helpful for me. Keep sharing good information..


    Garden Centre Chertsey

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...