Monday, 23 April 2012

Chest Of Drawers Makeover

Back in 2010 I gave our then nine year old Daughter's bedroom a makeover. We went for a pretty shabby chic look, Papa built her a mid-sleeper bed and I painted her old furniture to match the decor with a Cath Kidston style wallpaper. The room served its purpose well but now she is twelve she wanted a more grown up look to her bedroom.

Rather than buy new furniture I always prefer to makeover our old stuff especially if its quite an oldish piece as they tend to be much better quality than what you can buy now. Her chest of drawers is a piece of furniture that my Mum gave me about ten years ago and its dated from about the 1960's. It was originally a teak colour but I painted it white and put some china, teddy bear handles on it. I removed the old handles as they are now a bit babyish for a twelve year old, then gave the surface a gentle rub down.


I decided to match her bedroom to her new 'One Direction' bedding set which is pink & black so I thought for a real modern feel I'd paint the chest of drawers with a black satin paint which was only £12.00 for a 2.5ltr tin.


I bought some chrome handles to finish the makeover off perfectly.


I'm pleased with the makeover and the bedroom looks really nice, even though our Daughter has completely covered her freshly painted pink walls in Justin Bieber & One Direction posters. I'm keen  to encourage self expression so I guess I can live with the posters for now.

9 comments:

  1. Oooh, that looks lovely Mama. Gosh, One Direction? We're all still reeling over here after their visit. The kids went wild! I've just done a small bedside table makeover but it's in Dinoco Blue and Lighting McQueen Red. LOL

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh! I love it. I can't believe how much we would pay for these fancy looking items these days but it's so much more fun to diy and enjoy the process. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual an inspiring post with lots of useful hints.
    My boys have just moved into a room together with a bunk bed and I really should pull my finger out and give the room a makeover. It was a baby room but now has a six-year-old in it.
    You couldn't pop up to Scotland and help me transform it, could you? ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a transformation! I am really impressed (and slightly jealous)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job here they look amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very sophisticated room for a sophisticated young lady! Clever you for a super makeover!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...