Friday, 10 February 2012

What Really Makes Us Happy?

The lovely Kate has been questioning what truly makes us happy in life. I questioned the exact same thing the year my Mum died. As I spent her last days sitting by her side I realised that the only thing that really mattered to her was her Children and the Grandkids. Her only regret was that she didn't get to retire and spend more days at the seaside with her Grandchildren. 


Mum told me that she was so regretful that she didn't spend more time with them. My heart broke for her and the following year I questioned my own life. In a midst of grief and confusion I swore that I would live my life with no regrets. That year my life crumbled around me. I questioned everything and everyone, I cried, screamed, shouted and lost the plot. Papa and I separated. 

Alone for twelve months I struggled with life. Being a single Mum was bloody hard work. I was lonely. I was full of sadness not just grieving for my Mum but grieving for the relationship I had been in since I was a teenager. I felt so lost.

Papa and I got back together and for the next twelve months we retreated to a small village by the sea in the beautiful North Devon. We questioned our happiness and what we were going to do with the rest of our lives. The simple tranquillity of our surroundings forced us to realise that living a simple life had totally changed us.


We were happy. We had found our answer to happiness. With that knowledge we packed up and headed off  to Essex to be close to our eldest Son and Granddaughter. We have never looked back.

After Kate's prompt to ask our kids what makes them happy I asked my youngest. Her response....

"One Direction" 
Slightly disappointed I asked "Anything else...like fluffy bunnies, the seaside or your family?????"

"Eww...No Mum, just Harry Styles!"

Well, I guess that proves that kids have to learn for themselves. At least its not  Bieber anymore!

Linking up to Kate's blog hop.


9 comments:

  1. Aw I love this so much - tears and laughter - what more could you want from a post? Thanks so much for joining in and I'm so glad you found your happy ending. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me cry... Like Kate, I am so glad you found your happy ending! I did laugh out loud at the last bit though! Emma :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am so chuffed to have found your blog via Kates blog hop. Its lovely to meet you and I really respect your honest and warming writing style. I am now following and look forward to getting to know you and your lovely family better. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an edifying answer. I think you might just have hit on the true meaning of happiness and shown most of the rest of us up for the flighty creatures that we are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear... One Direction? I guess she has a lot to learn.... which is a good thing! Please remind her of this when she's grown up.
    I'm glad your story had a happy ending. I never thought you & Papa would break up.... I like your love story :)
    My OH lost his mum 7 years ago & it's taken this long to sort his head out. It's been a long journey & we nearly broke up lots of times. :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, One Direction! The kids at work always say "But aren't they gorgeous Miss?" Er, no- they're boys! Rx

    http://sandersonsmithstory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have to say as I get older, I need fewer things to be happy. My husband, family, friends, health, music-making, crafting, getting mail (electronic or snail)....Nice apron, little Miss Syder. Did Mama make it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a lovely post... funny how a blog hop can bring you to a blog post that you might just need to read today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happiness is so much easier and simpler when you are younger or life seems to be

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...