Thursday, 10 November 2011

The Women Before me...



This is the first time I've joined in with  Julia's 100 word challenge for Grown ups and the prompt 'Lest we Forget' is one (like for many of us) very close to my heart. The weekly challenge is for people over 16 who like to challenge themselves with writing.


As remembrance day approaches I think of the women before me. I never knew my Great Grandmother Agnes but I feel as though I have met her many times, not just because of the striking resemblance she has to my Mother but also because my Grandmother spoke of her often.

Agnes was killed during the blitz as heavy bombing descended upon East London, killed protecting her children in an air raid shelter. My Grandmother was thirteen when she lost her mother. I was thirty six when I lost mine. Three strong women who walked before me, women I will never forget.


13 comments:

  1. There is a definite family resemblance with all these women. You are sooo lucky to have the pictures too. Cherish them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pictures of the women before you and such a touching tribute to them x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful pictures Mama Syder. A sad story.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ultimate sacrifice...told simply and beautifully, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. And all three of them beautiful as well as strong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tribute to your family, but also a touching reminder then when we remember those who died in the war we should also think of the women like your great grandmother who stayed home and still gave their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm very moved by this. Such a loving remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Touching piece. Thank you for sharing the story of these women.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post, so full of love and memories x

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely to bring three generations "alive" in this way for us to share

    ReplyDelete
  11. A powerful tribute. Thank you for sharing
    GSussex

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed this piece and think it is a super use of the prompt. We don't often stop & think of our near relatives on these days. Thank you so much for joining the 100WCGU. Hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...