Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Christmas Cake Recipe


Baking our Christmas cake is a big part of the build up to Christmas for me. I love the ritual of gathering up the ingredients,  popping on my Crimbo pinny, switching on a Christmas album, and mixing the ingredients while I sing (badly) along. It gets me really excited for Santa and the festive celebrations ahead.

I usually make the cake the week after bonfire night which gives me about six weeks to feed my cake with plenty of booze. Every weekend from now untill the week before Christmas I will unwrap my cake, prick holes in the top with a cocktail stick and very gently pour any alcohol of choice over the cake (usually brandy, rum or whiskey). Then the week before Christmas I'll decorate it.


I also make mini Christmas cakes in ramekins for gifts or just for Papa to enjoy with a mug of tea. These can be iced just as you would a large cake then wrap them up and give them out as small gifts.



This is my own recipe that I adapted from a BBC one that I used last year and it tastes really yummy. Its a really easy recipe so if you aren't usually much of a baker you will be fine with this one so dont panic.


Ingredients

200g plain flour

¼ tsp salt

½ tsp mixed spice

½ tsp ground cinnamon

200g butter

200g brown sugar

2 tbsp black treacle

¼ tsp vanilla extract

4 free-range eggs

200g raisins

100g sultana's

180g prunes

170g dried cranberries

100g crushed almonds

100g chopped mixed peel

200g glace cherries


Method

* Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas2
* Grease an 8inch round cake tin, line the bottom and sides with greaseproof paper.

* Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl
* Add the treacle & vanilla
* Whisk the eggs in a cup then add gradually to the butter & sugar mix
* Add  the flour, salt, mixed spice and cinnamon
* Once completely mixed add all your fruits and almonds



* Spoon mixture into your cake tin
* Line the outside of the cake tin with greaseproof paper and tie with string. This protects the cake during the long cooking process,
* Cut a circle of greaseproof paper and place on top of the cake mix to prevent burning on top, although the top does still tend to burn a little but it can be sliced off before icing.



* After 3 hrs of baking keep testing every 20 mins by inserting a knife into the centre of the cake, if when you pull it out it there is cake mix on the knife and it looks runny then it is not cooked yet so continue baking.

(Not quite ready)

* Once cooked, leave to cool for half an hour then turn out onto a cooling rack until completly cool, wrap in foil and place in an air tight container ready to be feed in a weeks time.



It really is as simple as that...Happy Baking!

7 comments:

  1. it sounds absolutely delicious emma, I'll pop round to try some on boxing day xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, Thanks Joy and you are always welcome for cake xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try this recipe for mine this year - will make a change from my usual one. I make a little one for my Mummy as well, but your tiny ones as so sweet! Will make mine alongside the puddings on Stir-up Sunday, the one before Advent Sunday. I'm not keen on whisky, so ours is fed with dark rum. what are the preserves ion the background? they look suitably festive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sky blu, making the christmas cake is so much fun isn't it. I've not made my own pudding in previous years but want to try it this year. The preserves are pickled beetroot & redcurrant x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks too good to be so easy. I'm going to give it a whirl! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a good recipe Mama. I'm baking for school and kindy teachers this year. Might be just what I need.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm that does look delicious! I love the look of the mixture ready to go in the oven...nom nom nom! :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...