Monday, 10 October 2011

Magpie Monday - Kitsch and True

I'm so thrilled with this weeks charity shop finds although the kids tell me that my first item is really grannified I responded by telling them it cute & kitsch and I love it. Only a pound it will sit perfectly on a shelf with my vintage Enid Blyton books that I got a few weeks back here


I have recently become addicted to a US TV series called ' Big Love'. I spend lazy Sunday afternoons watching this show and I absolutely love it. It is set in Salt Lake City and it centres around a family of fundamentalist Mormons who practise polygamy, the old Mormon belief of having more than one wife. So basically this fella has three wives and they live in three houses next door to one another. I guess being raised a Mormon myself (and no, not the type that have lots of wives) their story intrigues me more than it might most. 

Anyway one of the wives was raised in an extremist community in Utah where abuse of the wives is common practise. These communities do really exist and one lady called Carolyn Jessop wrote a book about her escape from one such sect. It details the story of her life during the 1970's and 80's, her experience of a dysfunctional plural marriage, her eight pregnancies, four of which were life threatening and the last of which nearly killed her. So I spotted this book and thought this would really interest me and only a pound too. 

Linking up to Lizzie's Magpie Monday.

8 comments:

  1. I thought I had a link to the mormon lady's blog, but I cant find it at the mo. if I find it I'll let you know.
    you could have called this post "kitsch and tell"! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...Wish I'd thought of that Joy! Would love the link to her blog, Thankyou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a mix of light-hearted kitsch and heavy going tragic autobiography!

    You sure have multi-faceted tastes!

    Thanks for linking up xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww cute figurines .... perfect friends for your enid blyton books :)
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooooo cute! they're lovely! Vita :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a very interesting book

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your figurine I can just imagine it on a book case amongst Enid Blyton books.

    I have seen the first series of that programme and really enjoyed it...must look out for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The little boy and girl look so sweet! Could almost have been made to match the Blyton book covers.

    My middle sister is a huge 'Big Love' fan too. I must check it out - have added it to my LoveFilm list.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...