Tuesday, 11 October 2011

I am a Collector

It feels like forever since I last saw my Mum, in reality it has been five years. Five years of waking up every morning and wishing I could pick up the phone and speak to her. I miss her her so much that I actually feel like there is a physical crack right through the centre of my heart, the yearning to hear her voice is intense. I have photo's of her everywhere, it helps me feel her presence, to imagine her sitting on my sofa reading her Daily Express, sipping a mug of tea and discussing the psychology of life and love. The photo's are important to me, they are my memories, a visual link to my previous life.


Mum left me in charge of distributing our family photo's between me and my five Brothers. I was disappointed that the pickings were quite slim. I can't actually ever remember seeing my Mum with a camera in her hand...not ever. Photography wasn't as popular during the days before the digital age. It was an expensive hobby and time consuming waiting for films to be developed so Mum just didn't take many.

It made me realise how important it is to accumulate our memories, to have pictures of our times together. We always automatically store our memories in our hearts but looking at a photo transports us back in time. Things we sometimes forget once again become real. 

My blog became an aid, an aid to collecting memories. A place to bundle up our precious time as a family, my precious time as a Wife, Mother and Grandmother. So yes, I am a collector...a collector of memories and my collection will always be cherished.

Linking up to Josie's Writing workshop

3 comments:

  1. Nice that so many collections this week include the intangibles as well as things that we can hold. Thanks for sharing your story and collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post about memories - thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your post moving, and I love the photo of you and your Mum. Memories are so important...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...