Wednesday, 17 August 2011

The Gallery - Black and White

When I spotted the theme for this weeks Gallery I instantly knew which photo's I would be sharing. My parents 1960's wedding. I remember as a child I would flick through their wedding album any chance I could and think to myself how much my Mum looked like a princess and my Dad a prince. These photo's sparked my desire for a white wedding when I grew up and I would wonder what my Prince would be like.


My Parents and both sets of Grandparents, sadly only one Grandparent is still here with us.


I remember thinking as I turned the pages of the album how handsome my Dad was and Mum would tell me stories of how she adored him, even knocking back a date with The David Essex! He asked her out for a drink one night after a gig in a Dagenham pub, She was sitting at a bus stop alone after a row with my Dad and David Essex was leaning up against the bus stop with his guitar over his shoulder. He chatted to her while they waited for their bus then asked her out. Mum knocked him back because she already had a boyfriend. Years later we laughed over this story.


They were married on a cold January afternoon so all the photo's were very dark and a bit gloomy looking but it didn't stop Mum looking beautiful. As I look at my Dad in his youth I see my own Sons looking back at me. Its strange because my boys look so like their own Dad but also resemble my Dad, a Grandfather that they have never known.

Sadly the marriage wasn't to last and they divorced about 12 years later. Mum told me just before she died that she still loved my Dad and always would...She told me this as she handed me her engagement ring that Dad had given her forty years before. I was stunned as I had never seen the ring before...I never knew she had kept it all those years. Mum asked me to treasure it and eventually pass it down to my Daughters. That night I cried silently into my pillow as I wished that Mum could be here to pass the ring down to her Granddaughters herself.
Pop over to Sticky Fingers for more Gallery entries

17 comments:

  1. I always need my tissues for these Gallery posts. That was lovely x Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a beautiful and quite heartbreaking story. I love the pictures. Everyone looked such a dude in those days, didn't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A moving post... Lovely photos, the last one is my favourite, love your Mum's smile in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just lovely Mama Syder!

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely pics, emma, and such a sad story. but one consolation, if your mum had married david essex instead then you wouldn't be the person you are now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh mama that has brought a lUmp to my throat! How romantic that even aver all those years of being divorced from him, your mum still loved your dad. She is so pretty and I am not surprised ThevDavid Essex asked her out! What a lovely post xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww, beautiful post with tears at the end too. I love the fact she turned David Essex down :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm wiping away the tears after reading this, beautiful. And your Mum was a looker wasn't she! Love old pictures like this. Nat

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful, my mum had a 60's wedding and she had one of those 'chimney sweeps' third photo down - I loved it as a child and browsing through their wedding album - great memories

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww such a lovely story, sad too but beautiful pictures. I see you in both your mum and dad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post and pictures, a real life love story x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your lovely comment on my Gallery picture! These are beautiful pictures, and I loved the (The!) David Essex story. That last photo is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What lovely tale. Your parents looked so young (as did mine!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, what a touching story and very beautiful photographs. I love the style of dresses back then - my mother had long sleeves too. Very 'respectful', whilst looking stunning, serene and elegant too.
    Thank you for sharing your story x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, you just made me cry (a lot) - I have hormone overload at the moment and this post should have come with a tissue warning ;) I'm sure that ring will be treasured through generations to come. x
    p.s. Loving the David Essex story!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww what beautiful pictures and such a touching story x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...