Saturday, 13 August 2011

Bertha, My Retro Caravan - Update

We have worked really hard on Bertha, our retro caravan over the past couple of months. Papa has been painting, fixing and doing the 'man' jobs with a screwdriver and drill while I've been sewing curtains and cushion covers plus helping out with some of the painting. Bertha is slowly coming to life.

Everyone loves her and passes by often poke their noses in the door for a quick look and a chat if we are out there. The kids play in her and she has become a God send during the school holidays on rainy days. She has even had her first guests as Our eldest Son and a few of his friends come to stay for the weekend. Bertha just adores being a guest bedroom. So here's a few snap shots of our progress....

Before

After

Before

After

If you can remember a few weeks ago I found some retro 1970's fablon on eBay and just knew it would be perfect for Bertha's kitchen...

Before

After

Papa worked hard paying special attention to the Kitchen area lightly sanding over the brown melamine worktops before carefully applying the fablon.


The trick is trying your hardest not to get any creases or air bubbles. At first it takes a bit of time getting it just so but as Papa and I fabloned a whole kitchen in our old house 20 odd years ago we knew exactly how to apply the fablon. the key is to just take your time with it.


We decided for an extra little touch to fablon the two drawer fronts too...


Once the original handles were added it looked very effective.


I then decided to cut out some of the flowers and stick them on the top cupboards, again a very effective little touch.


So that's Bertha's renovation so far. We still have lots to do...more painting, wallpapering and accessorizing, but I hope you'll agree she certainly is looking very pretty?

16 comments:

  1. Wow - I love what you've done with the work surfaces, what a fantastic idea! My sister has recently bought a caravan so I'll have to show her this x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a transformation!

    Next weekend we're going on our first trip in a new caravan. The decor is fairly bland and beige but I intend to introduce some more quirky touches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow I love her! can I come and stay! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is absolutely mint! Good job.

    Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks amazing! Love the idea of the retro caravan as an extra bedroom. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bertha is beautiful! Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. She looks real pretty! I love fablon, I did my kitchen in the last place I lived :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd have never thought fablon could look so cool! I want a Bertha! She's looking fab, Nat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Bertha! I have my own retro caravan (Luna Sunbeam!) and, although the inside renovation is in progress I'm not sure what to do about the outside. Did you paint the outside of Bertha and if so, do you mind me asking what paint you used?! Love your blog.
    Best, Emma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Emma, Thanks for visiting. The paint we use for the outside is rust-oleum. It really made a huge difference to the outside of the caravan and goes on lovely with a small roller.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a lovely job. I've just bought a tiny eriba puck. Lovely apart from the dingy interior cupboards. I'm inspired by what you've done here. Could you tell me what paint you used and how that and the fablon is fairing over time?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh boy, the caravan looks so lovely! You definitely set a bright and vintage ambiance in the interior! How’s the exterior? What color did you paint it with?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic and inspiring. Have just acquired our first 1982 caravan and want to paint the interior. Any tips for what to use and how to prepare it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lucky you were to find some Fablon, just the thing when renovating a caravan of this age. I am also wondering how the outside looks now.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...