Saturday, 23 July 2011

The Quiet Life

Happy the man whose wish and care
A few paternal acres bound,
Content to breath his native air
In his own ground.



Whose herds with milk, 
whose fields with bread, 
Whose flocks supply him with attire, 
Whose trees in summer yield him shade, In winter fire.



Blest who can unconcern'dly find Hours, 
days and years slide soft away, 
In health of body, peace of mind, Quiet by day, 


Sound sleep by night; study and ease, 
Together mixt; sweet recreation; And innocence, 
which most does please With meditation. 


Thus let me live, unseen, unknown, 
Thus unlamented let me die, 
Steal from the world, and not a stone Tell where I lie.



I love this piece of poetry by Alexander Pope and how it sums up a life of solitude, free from the restrictions of society. The hustle, the bustle are of town life are a million miles away from this free man. 

He has no responsibilities in life toward anyone but himself. He answers to no-one. He doesn't give a damn about what anyone thinks of him. He does not care for material possessions, he is completely satisfied with the simple things in life. His life will be healthier as he has no stresses and strains. No-one passes judgement on him. He has a thirst for knowledge but not as a means for excellence merely as a satisfaction, a pleasure to be educated. He is a Free Man.


I feel a little envious of him as I read. he lives a life of peace and quiet. I couldn't live completely in solitude like he does but wouldn't it be wonderful to live a life free from every day stresses and strains? 

We are getting closer and closer to living a quieter life. We have down shifted some what. We have opted for country living which brings us so much freedom and peace. We are still tied to the system but we are freer than we were ten years ago, in fact our lives have completely changed. As a result I feel more confident in who I have become, who we have become. I am happy, I feel free.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos and a wonderful sentiment as always Em x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderfully uplifting post. Beautiful photography, I'm always in awe of your creativity, you are an inspiration to me.
    don't stop

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing that poem. Lovely photographs to accompany it too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...