Wednesday, 1 June 2011

The Gallery - For What I am grateful


There are so many things in my life that I am Grateful for. Losing Mum five years ago taught me a lot of things and the main thing being that it does not matter what material things you have in your life, they mean absolutely nothing if you do not have the people you love by your side.


In her last days Mum didn't care about the things she owned, the 'things' she had worked her fingers to the bone her whole life for. No, all Mum was thinking about was leaving her six kids behind and that she wouldn't be around to be a part of our lives...Her family were all that mattered in the end. I could see the panic in her eyes as she said Goodbye. I knew she was worried about us all and how we would cope. As a mother myself...I felt her anguish cutting through my heart like a knife.

The twelve months after Mum's passing it would be fair to say I totally lost the plot. When I look back on that year it is like looking at a stranger. I lost interest in everything and I hated the world. I was depressed. Papa and I split that year. We went our separate ways, met new partners and tried to start a new life 200 miles apart.
Problem was we still loved each other and would speak almost every day on the phone. We would chat, laugh, cry, argue and question where it all went wrong. We knew where it went wrong and as the grief became easier to bear we slowly returned to our old selves and got back together.

That was four years ago now and every day I feel grateful to be in a happy marriage with a man I have known since I was a teenager. A man who knows me completely, understanding every move I make. We are lucky and it hasn't been an easy road. We have fought hard to be able to live happily together side by side. We have  a good life, a simple life. We live in a lovely town in the country, in a pretty little street with good neighbours. We are Happy.

So, I am grateful for my husband of 22 years, my marriage...but not only that, I am obviously grateful for the health of our children, the love of my kids means more than anything on this world. My Family are my whole world and without them I am nothing.



This weeks Gallery is in recognition of Chris who jetted off to Mozambique on Monday for Save The Children. You can follow her journey here and you can also do your bit by signing the 'No Child Born To Die' petition ahead of the Vaccine and Immunisation Conference in London on June 13th where we have a chance to persuade world leaders to save 4 million lives in 4 hours.


Dear World Leaders,
On 13 June, you can save 4 million lives in 4 hours if you fully fund vaccines for the world’s poorest children.
Today one in five children worldwide receives no vaccines at all – they are the poorest, most marginalised children most at risk of killer illnesses such as pneumonia, diarrhoea and measles.
In this day and age no child should die from a disease that could be prevented by immunisation.
Vaccines save lives. This is the opportunity. Please take it.

If you haven't already signed the petition please take a minute to sign it here.

14 comments:

  1. Fabulous post, Mama. Totally to the heart of what really matters in life. Your bloke sounds like a rock (and looks like one, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can really relate to this post having written something of a similar vein on my blog yesterday. Life is so fragile and people are what makes it.

    I love that you and your husband got back together, you must have such a strong relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your lovely comments...I so appreciate them x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post. I totally agree with your sentiments. Life is so simple if you take away the meaningless fluff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Mama S, you and Papa really must have something special and such a strong love that you went through that and came out back together. Lovely post x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow a moving and lovely post. So inspirational to those starting put in married life that you have been together with your husband for so long . Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lost my Mum in 2009 and your post helped me feel normal. I love your honesty about your marriage and its blip. I think we all have them but we are not all as honest about it as you are here. Lovely post - would make your Mum very proud

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww I have tears in my eyes after reading your lovely post. I completely agree with you about material things meaning nothing if you don't have people you love and care about. I am so pleased that you and Papa worked through your problems and are still going strong. 22 years together is marvellous xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing that, what a lovely post. I am so glad it all worked out in the end for you, grief can make everything foggy for a while :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post,there is so much to be grateful for :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a sad story but I love that you both found your way back to each other. That must be fate working her magic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a very moving, touching post. I could so relate to how you felt when you lost your lovely Mum and how the grief took over your life. I was devastated when I lost my own Mum 6 years ago now and there is not a day goes by that I don't wish that she was still here...I miss her so very much!

    You are so lucky to have such a lovely marriage, I'm sure you will have lots and lots more happy years together. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thankyou for all your lovely comments and Carole I am so sorry you have also lost your Mum...Life just isn't the same without them around is it. Sending you a massive hug from someone who so understands...I miss my Mum too X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful post, very touching. So glad that you got back together with your true love.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...